Sign in to follow this  
littlebear

shifting problems

I have a '94 VR6 corrado and it revs realy high in 5th like 5,000 rpm. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas whether it is the transmission or the gear box. I have alot of play in the stick so much so that it feels like I am in neutral through all gears. Please give me some ideas on how to figure this problem out.

What do you mean by it revs really high in 5th, 5K in 5th is around 110 mph, you need to clarify this. Wear in the box selector is common and it needs rebuilding.

In 5th gear it feels like I am in 3rd. At about 60mph I am running about 5500 rpms and the faster I go obviously the higher the rpm. I was just wondering if it is the gearbox that needs rebuilding or the transmission. I have 187,000 miles and the whole drivetrain is original. Also I was wondering how to get the shifter out of the car. This is my first corrado and I really know nothing about them. Most cars I have ever taken the shifter out of came out through the top but I tried that with this car and it did not work that way. Am I going to have to remove the whole exhaust and drop it from the bottom?

I would say that if it feels like your in third, then maybe you actually are in third. Those revs for 60mph sound way to high for it to be 5th.

I know they are way to high for third thats why i am trying to figure this out. When I shift from 4th to 5th the rpms drop just a little like 500 rpm so i know i am going into 5th but maybe it is not going all the way in. i don't know whether the gear box is screwed up or the transmission. like i said this is my first one and i have never worked on them before. just trying to get a experieced corrado owners opinion.

Yeah I can here the engine revving high. I thought it might be the tac as well but there is just to much power in fith well I think it is fith gear to be right.

does it "over-rev" in all gears or just 5th? If in all it sounds like a new clutch is in order.... Esp if it still has the original! Although 187K I doubt it!

it only over revs in 5th and i have no idea if the clutch is original but i highly doubt it. the clutch works fine so i don't think that is it. i think it is the clutch or the gear box. the shifter feels like it is in neutral no matter if it is in gear or not. so i think it is the gearbox myself. can anyone tell me how to get the shifter out so i can put a short shift in. also i need some recomendations on a good short shifter.

hi i have a 94 vr6 and mine is absolute bitch to go in first,and the rest of the gears are fine but all feel loose with lots of play, i took it to vw and it needs new selector rods £428 inc of labour, waiting to see wot discount i can get first!

soz no idea about your revs.

jay