Sign in to follow this  
L100PY_H

Screen blower not working!!!

Seems a common problem on Corrados, dodgy heaters and all, but has anyone found a similar problem / solution to mine......in that the front screen blower works on all speed settings, but sliding the control knob across won't allow airflow to the front screen.....HELP!

Any help / advice greatly appreciated! :(

Try turning the fan to 0 and heat to 0 wih the engine off. Then, try switching it to screen. You can then turn the others back on. Think there's more strain on the cables when you try and do everything at once. Worth a shot.

Is it early dash or late? (dial controls or sliders?) If its the early type (sliders) , i'd like to know the fix as mines the same!!

As far as i remember, you need to go in manually and adjust it so that it either blows on the screen(and little out of the other vents) or vica versa.

How this can be achieved, is another question.

Mmmm......seems as though a 'hands on' approach will be the way forward here!!! Will keep updated those waiting with baited breath....If i ever manage to fix it...!!!! :(

I am in the same boat and its not good with the winter weather drawing closer :( I have a late dash so i will just have a play tonight i think!

Rob.

Progress.....but not good!!

It's a dash out job in reality i think, as space is pretty tight to say the least!!! and you can see where the cables lead.

Had a look today, and the slider type controls have two cables for selecting where the air goes. One sends air to the central vent, the other selects the screen channel.

These are plastic sleeves with a moveable solid wire core that slides inside, pushing / pulling shut off doors to deflect the airflow if you get my meaning???

The plastic outer sheathes need to be secured by little metal clips (under the dash where theyre hard to get at) so if they come off, the whole assembly moves, and not the inner alone.

'SIMPLY' refitting these clips securely will solve the problem, or adding a ty wrap to help.

So, if your selector knob is stiff to slide, this could well be your problem!!

If anyone needs clarification / pictures on that little lot, please email me on mailto:[email protected] and i'll try to help.

Also its worth removing the passenger side under tray thing and having a look at the plastic cogs under the air box, you will probably find that one of the cogs is broken so it either doesnt turn at all, or like mine only turns halfway so windscreen takes bloody ages to de-mist! :-(

This has been covered before and last time I checked someone was saying that cog can be removed and replaced without to much bother, am going to try ordering it from my local Stealer, but as the last time I went there to order an ECU vac pipe I was told "No vac pipe's on the ECU mate its all electrical init" :roll:

Useless Bast*rds will probably keep me there all morning again! :2gunfire:

Anyway will update once I have tried replacing

Cheers

Dan

Mine was stuck when I first got it, and it the wire in the control cable had kinked at the end and just bent over when the slide was operated.

I have noticed that I need to switch the fan off to make some adjustments to the airflow direction

DanVW I phoned your local dealer for a wheel bearing a little while back, and the nipper on the phone sounded so dopey I was surprised he even remembered to breathe!

Oh they have the cream of VW motor parts retail working for them! I find it best to go in with a part number or at least a picture, unless of course you dont mind standing around for two hours while they have a look on the "computer" :sleeping: