Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Should i buy another Corrado?

Since i put the mk4 up for sale and decided to buy something cheaper, like a mk2 golf I've been having more strange thoughts about buying another corrado instead!

i absolutely adored mine when it was a standard 8v, and seeing as a hell of a lot of you on here run them daily they can't be that bad to run on a daily basis can they?

only problem is.....would I be able to leave it alone.....

mad idea or not? couldn't cope with a 16v, never liked them, or the G60 for that matter. a VR6 would be pointless, and not much chepar than the mk4. so that leads me to another 8v! cheap, but strong, and late everything too. best of the bunch I reckon!

thoughts?

or, I could just use my corrado shell to build sensible 4wd daily driver and build a track car out of something else...

hmmm, i'd say no don't get an 8v as a daily driver... but that's just me being a little b*tch because i want to do the same and cant afford to at the mo?!?! :splat:

I wouldn't dismiss the valvers so quickly. I don't exactly miss my 200BHP G60 now i've got this valver..

The 16v engines are fairly hard work though. The 1.8 is especially gutless for a daily driver. In general, I'd say Mk2 8v Golfs were better cars for the daily grind. The Corrado looks much cooler though, no doubt. I reckon an 8v Corrado sounds like a perfect daily driver.

you can get an A3 1.8T Sport for circ £3K. Worth 5mins thought and a butchers on autotrader. Most mk2's are rotten these days. Mk3's are dogs too.

never liked nor been impressed with the old 1.8 16v, too gutless. rather have a 2.0 8v any day. saying that, never tried a 2.0 16v

yeah, decent mk2's pretty hard to find, never liked anything about mk3's, wouldn't even look at one.

MK1 you'd have to pay show money for one as they are the onyl decent ones left

MK2 i had a hell of a job finding a minter 2yrs ago, must have looked at 30 plus ranging from £700 to £3800!! The best by far was an 8v 1 owner on steels with the original cassete FH on 69k. He looked in parkers and put it up for the VG condition price of 1400. Kept 9 months and sold it for 3450 with a set of rims on. They are there but you have to see them as they are listed and be very lucky! 6mnths into having my C i would have swapped back in a flash!despite the £££s i made.

Had 16vs before and never warmed to them like the 8v. They are effective, but i didnt like the characteristics

1.8 8v or 2.0 8v are one of the best engines ever made bar none imo. Mk3s too heavy for it to be proper fun, but its still a good all rounder.

Buy an 8v corrado mate, and i hope your not thinking of leaving Cs altogether, the forum would be far to PC without you ;-)

cheers!

got a 140bhp 2.0 8v lump up at my dads actually. it was going in the missus golf country, but it could easily go back in my corrado....

and I suppose I could go full circle and buy my old mk2 shell back for a track car.

hmm

MK1 you'd have to pay show money for one as they are the onyl decent ones left

Tell me about it, ive been looking for a cheap solid little mk1 for a while!

Well if I ever run into you Paul at a meet, i'd let you try my 2.0 16v just so you get an idea of what the 2.0 16v + KR cams can offer. I'm sure with further enhancements to the head and inlet you could get it to over 170BHP which would be pretty exciting.

But on the flip side of thise i've never tried an 8v so.. not sure what they're like to drive! :)

8v's aren't toooooo bad at all. They can be picked up pretty damn cheap for what they are too.

And I agree with Nick , the 8v engine is absolutely bullet proof, easy to fix, cheap for parts and great on fuel.

I'd build your Corrado into a v fast high spec road car with all the comforts its too good for track and build a new track car.

Jim, I'll hold you to that offer!

OSV, already did that, but just put too many mods on it, and rushed the build so I wasn't happy with it.

How can a car be "too good for track"? condition wise you mean?

Love the 8v engine, smooth quiet, good low end torque. And thats the 1.8 the 2.0 litre should be great for every day. Might need a honking great turbo just for fun though..... oh sh!t I'm off again.....DOH

And to answer your question, YES BUY ANOTHER CORRADO!