Sign in to follow this  
nia573

Fitting the VR6 top mounts onto a Mk2

Sorry it's not Corrado related :oops:

Followed this thread in the past http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88535&highlight=top+mount

& today set about fitting the VR6 top mounts to my '91 Mk2. I'd collected all the parts required (top mounts, bearings, top plates, top spring plates, bumpstops & the threaded bush) so thought it would be a straight on & off job

mk3strut.jpg

Problem arose when I re-assembled everything together off the car, the top spring plate 357 412 341A (number 26) seemed about 20mm smaller diameter than the old Mk2 one I removed. When assembled the OD of the plate was barely larger than the internal diameter of the top of the spring & it didn't seem secure at all. (H&R -40mm springs are fitted).

I tried loose fitting the plate onto another set of old springs I have & the top coil was almost larger than the od of the plate there too??

I had visions of hitting a pothole & dislodging the plate & causing some damage. Also since this plate isn't as deep/high as the Mk2 original, I didn't need the compressors at all on reassembly, & even when fully tightened the spring was loose on the strut

I had to re-fit the old mounts 'cos I need the car this week, but somethings wrong, so can someone give me advice before I go & buy G60 top mounts.

Cheers

Classic problem and you need to head into the Corrado section of ETKA to sort it out.

The spring disc you actually need is part no 1H0 412 341 and you will also need a matching set of bellows to go with the wider spring disc, this is part number 1H0 413 175.

The reason for this is that aside from Pi (Who make both types of spring) all the other manufacturers require the use of the earlier and wider spring disc. The earlier discs are 105mm in diameter and where in use up to around 06.93, the later discs are only 92mm in diameter

VW introduced the smaller spring disc as part of a ride improvement on the suspension to enable the use of 'lateral force compensating coil springs. These reduce the friction on the piston rod in the piston rod guide of the suspension strut. This improves the response of the shock absorbers and therefore the ride comfort.'

Ah thanks Yandards, that makes sense! I'll ring the dealers tomorrow

Incidentally, do you know if this wider spring disc is as high as the standard Mk2 one, & not shallow like the small diameter 357 412 341A one?(which would explain why the spring isn't compressed slightly when assembled on the strut)

& just a thought, there's no way I can use the Mk2 spring disc with the VR6 mounts is there (the top 'dish' of the spring plate needs to sit snugly on the underside of the mount & bearing doesn't it?)

Thanks again

Mike

The later disc (smaller diameter one) is shallower by approximately 5mm.

You are correct about the MK.II spring disc, it wont work with the new top mount and bearing arrangement.

As for your lack of spring compression I assume you are using standard dampers with the 40mm lowering springs?

If so you will find that they will not be as tight as the original springs but the new spring disc should ensure you get a reasonable amount of compression.

I'm using Koni Top Adjustable struts on the front. Hopefully the extra 5mm will make a difference!

Thanks for the info! :) (I was dreading having to go back to using the crappy Mk2 type mounts)

I'm using Koni Top Adjustable struts on the front. Hopefully the extra 5mm will make a difference!

Thanks for the info! :) (I was dreading having to go back to using the crappy Mk2 type mounts)

40mm should be ok even on standard shockers but it is better to go with slightly shorter shocks.