Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Paintwork

Hi guys, I'm trying to sort out some paintwork on the corrado. I need to get both my bumpers resprayed. Nothing serious, just years of trolley type abuse taking its tole.

Now here's where it gets really annoying. I got some cellulose paint to touch up a few stone chips around the car, and using my best airbrushing skills, touched up a nasty one on the rear wheel arch. It looked great, then I gave it a good key, and put some of Halfords laquer on. I had a few spatters from the rattle can, went to rub them down, and the laquer just peels off, doesn't sand at all! What's worse is that i've had to rub it to get the stuff off (coz I did give it a very good key :wink:) , and it's back to primer in more places than it was originally :cry:

So generally my beloved rado is looking worse for wares at the mo, and ideally needs the whole quarter touched up and re-laquered to make it look good now. I have sprayed a lot before, but considering the shine on the C, I'm not sure if I should even bother trying!

I've been quoted £500 for the quarter and both bumpers from a guy with a small but good body shop, prep included. Does that sound a good deal to you guys? Otherwise, Can anyone recommend anywhere else in and around Surrey to try?

P.S. I hope this is the right section, it was this, general or suppliers, so mods, move it if need be, Ta!

i've been looking for over a year for a reasonable price.

new restrictions will make prices even higher next year, as they move to a non-solvent paint.

£500 seems fair.

Everywhere I go, they quote £450 to do the drivers door, simply because they insist on blending into the panels either side of the door to make it seem seemless.

They seem to be out to rob yu, as the price barely improves as you add more work, even though the paint will be in the pot.

I'm also after a decent resprayer in Surrey, so when you get recommended one, I'd like to know how you get on!

Will do. The guy who quoted me £500 is up on ranmore common between East Horsley and Dorking. His name's Julian. He's done a lot of stuff for my family in the past, welding, panel repairs and spraying, so I'll gladly recommend him already. I'll get his number for you next time i'm up there. I was gonna ask him for a price on a full respray, just in case I get a bit of cash anytime!

I reckon I'm gonna ask him if he can just do the rear quarter first, then save up some pennies for the bumpers. I bought the car like that, so it doesn't really bother me, just that bloody quarter, every time I look it hacks me off!

Lesson learnt: Don't use halfords laquer!