Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

VR6 into 16v

I have started a project of fitting a 2.9 vr engine into my 1992 16v corrado. This rado i have is a little strange as its early wiring but late body as they must have raided the spare parts bin.

So far I have:

ABV 2.9L Engine

Inlet Manifold (Polished with black inners)

Gearbox

Alternator

Aircon Compressor

Powersteering Pump

New Serpine Belt

Engine Loom

ECU

Coilpack

Brand New Bosch Sparkplugs

HT leads

All Water Hoses

Expansion tank

Very large Rad (slightly damadged but not leaking)

Airflow Meter and Inlet pipe (no airfliter)

Exhaust manifolds and downpipe

Almost new Clutch fitted

Drive Shafts

Hubs

Brakes

So my questions are:

1).What else do I need to get? ie cross member, wire loom etc. want to make as standard as possible.

2).Can you tell me if the parts i need to get can be taken off other cars, or rado's only.

3).Is the loom from the vr a straight plug in to the 16v fuse panel? or will i need to rewire stuff? bit worried about this.

4).Which is the best/easiest way to do the conversion

5) unusual tools needed for conv? i have a good selection but anything i may not have?

6). any other hints tips, info or links would be very usefull.

Ive searched on here but nothing is tellling me exactly what else I need, thanks

Sam

lol, everything i know about this conversion is from what ive read on here. just need reasuring i have researched correctly, always good to check im going to do it right first time

You will need the VR crossmember back and front.

You will need to use the VR radiator and if using the VR fans you will need to use the small separate loom and control box that bolts near the expansion bottle.

you can just bolt up your existing shafts to the VR gearbox or go down the 5 stud hub route.

Do you have the fuse board with the wiring diagram?

It all will go in without any special tools,you have the later valver so should have the humped bonnet anyway.

Your standard fuel pump will be up to the job quite well.

Not sure if you power steering pipes will match up as the VR has a banjo type into the pump But the rest should match up fine.

I have wiring diagram for the golf which is the same as the corrado if you need it just PM me.

Fitting is straight forward,remove old engine rear subframe and wiring,fit the wiring while the engine is out of the way,refit VR crossmember,install engine with VR front crossmember,plumb up and turn the Key...you hope lol!

Just been looking at the part numbers for the fuse boards to see if there is any difference in part numbers and there is none from early to late type,so best thing to do is just plug and play ,you cant go wrong.

checked ETKA, as far as i can see one crossmember is same on both engine types, only difference with the two set ups are the subframes and the other crossmember.

i was told that the cross member must be corrado is that true? also i guesse my driveshafts can cope for a little while till i change to vr ones?

khurrado, was saying he thinks that the late 2.0 16v rear subframe is the same as the VR one. Only difference is that the wish bones are wider on a vr. could anyone verify this? im still digging

hi,

good thread,

i have a engine less 1990 Kr 16v and have just got my hands on a cheap mk3 golf VR6.

Am i right in thinking that i could unbolt the whole subfame, engine and running gear from the golf and it would fit into the corrado...... ?

or would that be too easy...........?