Sign in to follow this  
mike240z

Suspension clunk and shift problem

I just purchased my first corrado and this is my first post so heres some backround on it its a 1990 with 129000 miles and stage two autothority kit and koni coilovers

so heres the problem when driving there is a persistent clunk or thud in front right(passenger) suspension on over almost any bump also when going over bumps the car seems to float and bounce on that side there is also little give in the suspension i can lift the car but cannot push it down

the only other problem is the transmission seems to have problems going into first and sometims third is not all the time but first wont engage all the way and third will feel like it goes in byut will kick out again not all the time or even alot and may be my sifting any help will be greatly appreciated

I had something similar to this, jack up that side of the car and check for any movement and also the security of any bolts on the suspension.

On mine there was only one bolt holding the ball joint mount to the wishbone! When there should be three!

Bumping this up as i'm gradually getting this more and more on my passenger side of my car.. seemingly worse tonight after hitting a few pants potholes in the past few days. Unfortunately its the passenger side that keeps taking the brunt and has gotten to the point now where even the smallest hole in the road will cause an almighty THUMP from that side, yet hitting the same sorts of holes with the driver side makes barely any noise at all. Why the hell could one side be more noisy than the other? I don't seem to be getting any other symptoms (well, my handling is progressively getting worse but has been for a while) but have noticed more recently that my steering seems to pop and lightly clunk up through the column and wheel as I turn the car when parking for example..?

Its probably just psychological but i'm convinced that side does not feel right now either. Any thoughts before I go crawling over to Stealth for Vince to have a look?

Please help me get to the bottom of my steering / suspension issues! TIA! :)

I did wonder that mate but the top mounts were new about.. er... 7 months ago?

Would like to get the car in the air and see if anything has any play in it on that side...

... but have noticed more recently that my steering seems to pop and lightly clunk up through the column and wheel as I turn the car when parking for example..?

sounds like the adjustable part of the steering column Jim, if you're feeling that sort of clunk in the column it's unlikely to be part of the suspension causing it, mine does a similar thing every now and then, just keeping my eye out for a late 8v fixed column.

Oh yeah, and also check to make sure there's nothing around the pedals that's fouling on the UJs as they turn .. they can catch bits of trim if things get a bit out of place (or your feet!).

just keeping my eye out for a late 8v fixed column.

That makes two of us mate! :)

Jim check the rear (upright) wishbone bolt on the passenger side. I had a similar feeling on my golf, turned out the bolt was too long (read loose) allowing the wishbone to pivot slightly and hit the subframe causing a knock and vibration

Funny you should mention that.. I did have new wishbones (and bolts) fitted about a month or two ago.. could well be a culprit area then!

sorry i never replied ive been very busy but i was just updating to say that it turned out to be a fualty shock. the car had koni 4 way adjustable and a life time warranty so i replaced it and went ahead and bought a strut mounting kit and the car rides greatnow