Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

G60 keeps frying coils. WHY ??

:?: :?:

Funny one this, my coil decided not to work back in June, replaced it, all was good until a couple of months later when my Hall Sender decided to die. Replaced it, about a day later it fryed another coil, replaced that, all good until i decided to drive the car for more than 40 minutes or so, then it packed up on me again !!! :mad:

This kept happening, drive it for 40-50 minutes and it would die whilst idling, leave it for between 1-4 minutes and it would run perfectly.

For the last month or so i've been replacing parts trying to find the problem, yesterday i put a second hand coil on and its fine again, went for a 3 hour drive problem free.

I've had the charge out of the alternator checked and all seems pretty standard.

Is it going to fry another one ??

Any ideas why this could be happening ??

Any ideas much appreciated 8)

The coil is directly drived by the ECU output.

It receives 12v, and when the voltage drops to 0v you get an output spark.

If the coil is always getting 12v without a refresh from the ECU i´m pretty sure that it will get very hot and burn like you´re saying.

On the other hand the car wouldn´t run OK...

So this is a very uncomon situation...

Do you have the possibilty to change the ECU to find out if this issue remains?

Keep posting!

Cheers guys. i don't have another ECU to try but maybe the relay is worth a try ?? Would the car run like a bag of poo if it was knackered ??

The coil thats on there is still working, nearly a week now.

Someone suggesting putting an electronic coil on, is that worth a go ?? Assuming the one thats on there isn't electronic ??

Dumbo questions !!

normal coil looks like a redbull can kinda shape. Elecronic coil is more of a box shape normally.

defo need a electronic one, its down to the resistance on the primary circuit distinguishes the differance, square coils just arnt oil cooled. im assuming the first coil had been on there a while so the first replacement where did you get that from. if the charge rate is under 15 volts then thats not the prob so would suggest a new coil from vw. or are you sitting around a lot with the ignition on, say in lunch break to listen to stereo as this will over heat and burn out the coil

Cheers guys, i had pattern VW coils after the first original one let me down, not sure what brand they are (no name stamped on them).

I never sit around with the ignition on, i sit in traffic a bit sometimes, nothing major though.

Maybe if this one lets go then i'll try an electronic one.

I'll post if it fry's another one !1

Cheers.