Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDave

Oxygen Probe?

Got the C on a ramp today and fitted my wideband O2 sensor. In the process I had to remove the narrow band standard sensor which I disconnected and left the cable dangling.

Now it might just be me, but my car felt really great on the drive home?

Idle was better and went like a rocket. :lol:

The wideband meter was showing it running a little rich so maybe pulling the sensor put the Motronic into an open loop fuel mode thats a bit on the rich side?

Anybody else tried this?

Not tried this, but not having the sensor would put the system into open loop fuel mode. Mind your fuel consumption though!

Thats good to know coz I just fooked my sensor trying to get it out of the miltek de-cat pipe! Gonna re tap the hole and plug it till I can get a new lambda.

Does anyone know if this will cause any damge to the engine?

If not, and if it runs better, I may just leave it out for good :)

Thats good to know coz I just fooked my sensor trying to get it out of the miltek de-cat pipe!

That sounds familiar! :oops:

I've damaged the wiring to mine, so at the minute I've unplugged my lambda probe and it runs fine! :)

You are a star!

I was proper on the stess before I read this post!

Going to Halfords to get a better blanking plug.

Cheers guys :)

I now have a wideband O2 sensor, and I've been taking some data logs while driving easy, hard etc and so far it has been fine. AFR is spot on and nicely on the rich side when on full throttle. Spot on 14.7 when cruising. With numbers like that I wouldn't expect any engine damage. Maybe wouldn't pass an MOT, but it's only slightly lean at idle (about 15.2 AFR).

Fuel consumption does seem a little down, maybe 2-3 mpg so not much.

Mine's 20.5 at idle and purrs like a kitten, a smidge lean but that's OBD2 for you.

ECU still has TPS and mass air to fall back on as substitutes, so will still drive OK. As said already, pulling the lambda will blow more fuel in which = cooler running and a burn slightly better for power, rather than closed loop economy. Lambda is ignored on WOT anyway ;-)

Pull the O2 on OBD2 though and it doesn't like it. It has a much better sensor and faster response time and boy do you notice it.

Well it certainly makes the car run better IMHO but yeah the fuel consumption is down a little, only by 5mpg on my usual run though so not too bad.

Cheers guys!

Oh and just out of interest, is it normal for a de-cat pipe on an otherwise stock exhaust system to sound like it is blowing even when it is not? I'm not talking about the increased noise level (it hasn't really made much difference to stock), just the air chuffing kinda noise under acceleration. Oh and if I blip the throttle, it proper burbles when the revs drop and then pops once!

I have have checked and checked the whole system and there are no leaks, so I guess this is normal? Sounds cool even if its not.. he he!

Thanks again :)

DOH! Well, it seems my MPG is actually taking a beating! After a drive on the M23 at 70mph my best was 21.7mpg where I would usually be approaching 27mpg. This normally wouldn't budge if I then floor it but as soon as I did, it shot down to 17mpg.

Shame as the car runs so much nicer without the probe.

Of course I do have a slight blow in the downpipe now so that won't be helping matters!

I might wire in a switch to kill the probe when I want to floor it. Bit drastic I hear you say, but it really did make a difference!

CrazyDave, where did you get you wideband from? I'm looking for on e for my megasquirt, but can only find complete kits that cost a bloody fortune!

I use the Innovate LC-1, which was only $199

Comes with controller, Bosch probe, lambda socket, 2 programmable analogue outputs (+ 1 digital), software and computer leads.

I also have the Innovate XD-16 digital gauge to go with it, which is very trick. Fully adjustable illumination (256 colours!), switchable % O2 and AFR displays etc etc. Shows you everything you need to know, including the probe warming up, calibration, probe status etc etc...

Comes with controller, Bosch probe, lambda socket, 2 programmable analogue outputs (+ 1 digital), software and computer leads.

I've been looking at one of those, but was trying to find out a way of building my own controller and just using a standard MK4 GTi wideband lambda..... might have to give that a go

I would. For the money you can't go wrong. It's a nice compact unit, proper waterproof OE plugs, comes with OE Bosch 0-5V WB sensor and stainless exhaust socket, software etc etc and the 2 analogue outputs are programmable for full 0-5V output, or simulated 0-1V narrowband for connecting stock ECUs.

I looked it into for my setup and couldn't find better for the money tbh.

I've been looking at one of those, but was trying to find out a way of building my own controller and just using a standard MK4 GTi wideband lambda..... might have to give that a go

Mine is an LM-1 because I wanted the logging facility, but I plan on using an LC-1 for exactly the same reasons as Kev. Very easy to calibrate, fit and forget worth every penny especially if you buy direct from the States.

Hows the squirt coming on Mr Beige (or should I say Louis!).

Mine is an LM-1 because I wanted the logging facility, but I plan on using an LC-1 for exactly the same reasons as Kev. Very easy to calibrate, fit and forget worth every penny especially if you buy direct from the States.

Hows the squirt coming on Mr Beige (or should I say Louis!).

:lol: Only recieved the squirt on Friday, so still in bits. Will be building it up in the new year, just need to sort out the other bits that I need for the conversion (not as straight forward as the VR :cry: )