Sign in to follow this  
GIXXERUK

front caliper faults ??

story goes - i had a warped disc about 6 months ago (std vag discs and pagid fr pads) so i changed this for some grooved omp discs and all was well , now its warped again !! it always feels like the passenger side that is warping

i've now bought some mintex discs and pads but i'm wondering could there be a fault with the caliper ?

anyone had this or any pointers for when i strip it down again , how to check or clean/lube the caliper ? the car doesnt pull under braking

cheers

Paul

Could be knackered calipers - I recently fitted brand new ones to the TDi and wasn't expecting a difference in performance as it felt the same as other G60 braked cars i'd driven but it's like having twin pots installed...!

Were the brakes ok after fitting - just wondered if the hub face is not clean...

Also make sure you clean the pad sliders on the carier with a screwdriver and copper grease them so the pads move freely...

Is one wheel hotter than the other after a normal journey?

they worked fine for about 5 months , it just makes me suspicious that it feels like the same side as before

it doesnt seem to be getting hotter on one side or making any unusual noises

how much were your calipers ? did you get vag ones ?

cheers for the reply

i have braided lines fitted , i was just going to check the pad sliders and springs and give them a clean ( i always copper grease the back of the pads)

Hmmm - could be a wheel bearing I suppose but if it was that bad I would have thought your wheel would have dropped off by now... VAG discs never seem to warp in my experience...

Was going to ask if you stopped on the brakes alot and kept your foot down (gives a kind of warping effect as the disc cools) but that would knacker both sides...

New calipers were £55 the pair but that was a stupidly cheap trade price as one was NOS and technically they had to thro it away... (they are usually £35 each I think)

wheel bearings were done approx 12 months ago , no droning either

ho hum i'll see what i find :-(

those calipers were a bargain ! it definitely feels warped you can feel it through the steering and the shaking slows as the car does , just waiting for the sun now so i can fit them ;-)

cheers Supercharged,

Have the hubs checked for run out whilst the discs are off.

no mate , the faces were surgically cleaned :wink: , wouldnt special equipment be required to check for the run out ?

if the hub was running out would this show up as either wheel shake (feeling like poor balance) or by the tracking being out ?

and why does it feel ok with a new discs then shows months later , i'm not disagreeing just trying to understand

cheers

The hub (if it is warped slightly) won’t show up as a driving problem until the distortion is transferred into the disc which can take a while. Were the hubs replaced with the wheel bearings? When we have a car with warped discs, we always check the hub before fitting the new discs.

the hubs werent replaced with the bearings mate , i'll get them checked out

cheers , sounds like a definite possibility

I'm having trouble with brakes too. The inside front disc is distorted to the point where the excessive heat makes the brake grip. Its like pulling away with the handbrake on when that happens. I stripped the caliper down and cleaned it all up and it has happened again since. Its almost as if the piston isn't retracting far enough.

I have new O.E discs and pads now but want to sort out the problem before fitting them.