Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

G60 oil pressure light

Hi

I've done a search and hopefully made a half decent diagnosis of my problem, would appreciate if someone could confirm this, :thumbleft:.

Oil pressure light blinks and bleeps when oil is hot (110) and I drop the speed to 40mph (about 2000 revs). Doesn't happen very often (say once on a 25mile journey) but annoying when it does.

My first thing to change is the oil pressure sensor?

I assume this is the one closest to the block on top of the oil filter housing with a number of 068 919 081 colour is black?

Thanks

T

Agreed :)

oil filter head one is as you say:

068 919 081 1.4bar black

side of head:

028 919 081d 0.25bar blue.

Neil.

Thank you.

I'm not really very good at engine stuff but always willing to try and learn.

I know it's not rocket science, just want to try and sort this out methodically without introducing other problems.

Is it best to use genuine VW sensors or can I get away with GSF knockoffs?

Thanks

T

Definately genuine in my opinion,ive had gsf/euro senders in the past and a few have leaked oil from around the spade terminal :(

Neil.

Agreed :)

oil filter head one is as you say:

068 919 081 1.4bar black

side of head:

028 919 081d 0.25bar blue.

Neil.

I've finally got the bits from VW and just did the one on the side of the head. The original was a 'black' one number 028 919 081C with a pressure rating of 0.15 - 0.45 bar. Is it okay using the 081D 'blue' in it's place?

Can't do the other one yet as I need to get a deep 24mm socket and universal joint to give me access. Grrr.

Ta

T

you need to replace like for like otherwise the pressure activation for the switch will be different and cause you all sorts of potential headaches!

you need to replace like for like otherwise the pressure activation for the switch will be different and cause you all sorts of potential headaches!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've just put the old one back on and the new one had 0.15 - 0.35 printed on it.

I'll have to try and take it back now, bet they won't accept it.

I bet the other one has a different number as well.

How come there is a lot of G60's with different numbered sensors on them? I would have thought they would all have had the same one?

T

Hmmm...

028 919 081C supercedes to 021 919 081B but that part is not fitted to any Corrado's...

081D looks right but the one I took out of my G60 is 1H0 919 563 which according to ETKA is a part for the 2E engine

Not sure what part number went in but I would have checked it at the time - I know the new ones have a flat top so you need to chop the locking spade connector off and reterminate a new one checking it fits the new sender first of course!

Hi

Appreciate all comments but who's to say that my car or anyones for that matter is fitted with the correct sensors? It could have been incorrectly changed by any previous owner/garage.

I'm a bit unsure what to do now and I know my local VW garage will be of no help.

I still can't see why some cars have different sensors to others of the same model.

Anyway, will sleep on it. Had the car for 3 months now without being able to do any long journeys so another couple of weeks won't matter.

Merry Christmas to all and thanks for all your help.

T

Are you getting any knocking from the bottom end at around 3,000 revs? Your big ends might be worn which is one of the most common reason for oil pressure loss. Try revving it up to around 4,000 and listen for a quick succession knocking, sounds more like a vibration - if you can hear anything resembling a knock, it could be your big ends ... common on G60's. That said, you can still have worn big ends and pressure loss without any noises. Don't be too quick to assume it's a sensor, from what your saying, when your oil gets very hot, as it's does on G60's, your losing pressure - what mileage has she done? Also, fit an after market oil cooler (or one from a MK1 Golf GTI), this will knock 10 degrees off your normal running temp and elimate those really high temps you see when you've been driving it really hard.

just be careful, if the oil presssure light is coming on more frequently its not a good thing

hopefully it will be just a sensor issue, but be aware it could be more serious!

Hi

It is a high miler 150k. But sounds really good and I've had it for 3 months and it's not used any oil whatsoever.

It's had a few mods (copy and pasted because I'm lazy):

Fully rebuilt TSR polished and ported head

Jabba stage4 supercharger

Schrick 268 cam

Superchip and smaller pulley

Stroeve induction kit

Custom built Jettex stainless exhaust system

Stainless TSR 4 into 1 manifold

I was definately going to put a decent oil cooler on but I wanted the pressure light to be sorted first, I didn't want to mask any problems the car had.

The light only comes on after a lot of hard driving and when I slow down to about 40mph, that must be about 1600 revs in 5th gear I suppose.

I always take note of the light and stop immediately but need to get it sorted asap otherwise I may lose my patience and go and buy a corsa. :p

Cheers

T

get an oil pressure test done on it before you do anything else. that will tell you if there is a problem with the oil pressure or not. or get yourself an oil pressure guage

Rob

Have you changed the oil?

I had the same problem, always as I was easing off after a long run - coming up to a roundabout on a dual carriageway etc.. I had recently fitted a 68mm pulley and chip and noticed a big hike in the oil temp.

I took the car in for a service and asked them to check the oil pressure and also fit my group buy mocal oil cooler - they couldnt find anything and it has never done this again. That was about 25,000 miles ago!! :lol:

With all those mods and a standard oil cooler you will run very very hot - I'd immagine touching 140oC if booting it. This will make your oil very thin and probably knacker it!! :lol:

I changed the black sender last month due to a leak - i think i checked the new number against old, i normally do. I'll see if i can find the old one.

Hi again

Sorry been away for a few days.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and help.

The oil was changed to synta silver the week I got the car.

What I'm going to do is change the other oil pressure sender over to the new one (black one) and hopefully get the blue one replaced with the correct one at VW. (As I've already paid for them)

Then I'll have to take my car to the phirm and get them to do a full test on the oil pressure/temperature and check the cooling system works as it should.

I know they will tend towards the fitting of a mocal but as I said before I don't want to mask any problems (but I'm sure it would probably solve the problem because the oil wouldn't get so hot.)

And I'll have to take their advice from then.

Hopefully 2007 is the chinese year of the G60. :D

Cheers

T

I've finally got the bits from VW and just did the one on the side of the head. The original was a 'black' one number 028 919 081C with a pressure rating of 0.15 - 0.45 bar. Is it okay using the 081D 'blue' in it's place?

Can't do the other one yet as I need to get a deep 24mm socket and universal joint to give me access. Grrr.

Ta

T

Managed to do the 068 919 081 one now which was on top of the oil filter housing and is the same number as the one it replaced.

But, I did a double check on the part number for the one on the side of the head. The original and still current sensor on my car isn't 028 919 081C as I first thought, it's 056 919 081C (0.15 - 0.45bar).

Can someone who has access to the software do a quick parts number check for me please to confirm this is indeed correct and the number I should replace it with.

Thanks

T

Good news.

Rang up VW and quoted the part number 056 919 081C and without any prompting, the parts guy said that part code had been superseded by the 028 919 081C number which I already have.

So, I'll whack that on tomorrow. And I'll book my car into the phirm for a checkup asap.

T