Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Mp3 compatable CD player recomendations

Hi guys I'm after a bit of advice....

My sister's boyfriend wants to buy my sister a MP3 compatable Cd player for her car, so she can listen to some of her own music, as she has a very long drive to and from work every day, and has asked me what he should buy. So I wondered if anyone had any recomendations both for a player and where to buy it from. I'm comptent in fitting them, so that's not a problem.

His budget is £100-£150 I believe..

Thanks in advance....

Tom

I bought my girlfriend a Pioneer MP3 head unit - it was fairly entry level but then she wasn't bothered about organic EL displays, etc - she just wanted it to work. Been really happy with it and think you can pick one up for about £89.99 these days!

Had a Pioneer one myself in the past too and it was spot on.. really really rate their stuff! :)

MY recomendation would be a kenwood. They are cheap (some models), very easy to use, and also have great sound. No matter which kenwood you chose it would have great sound ( if you went kenwood)

I ran an Alpine 9815RB for about 3 years till I sold it with my other car, I can't say enough good things about it! It does MP3 and WMA and it has lots of power too.

I paid about £350 3 years ago so they should be around your budget now if you can find one.

I'm gonna buy another myself :wink:

Cheers for the suggestions guys. I'll start to have a look around for one at the start of the week. I suppose WMA compatability would be nice too, as I've recorded several cds on media player now...

Anyone know a good place to buy them from either or on or offline?? I don't like buying from Halfools and most "In car entertainment shops" seem to add a massive mark up.

I ran an Alpine 9815RB for about 3 years till I sold it with my other car, I can't say enough good things about it! It does MP3 and WMA and it has lots of power too.

I paid about £350 3 years ago so they should be around your budget now if you can find one.

I just looked... they still are £350!!! or on some sites £450 :shock:

Cheers for the tip though

I bought a Sony CDX-GT300 earlier this year for my C, really nice sound thru JBL 6x9's in the rear shelf, 2 preamp outs and another seperate pre-amp for the sub (which can be set independantly from the main volume levels) plays MP3, WMA and Sony's Atrac format (not used that yet tho) 4x50 rms so plenty of output if your not gonna use an amp.

About £130 quid so not a bad price either.

Oh and it comes with a remote control for if you've got extremely short arms.

Get yourself a sony 1G panel head unit...You dont even have to bother with cd's on this one (tho its play cd's too) just download the wma and mp3 files straight onto the headunit from a pc it's basically a remote storage unit...That way when you launch yourself over speed bumps you dont get "cd jump"!!

Your can store shed loads of tracks on it.

£250 from halfords.

I've heard good things about the Sobel SG 678

Plus, your sis can fix herself a tall Pimms when she's stuck in traffic.

Bargain at 65 Guineas, but not sure about DIN fitment or wma compatibility.

Probably mdf compatible though :wink:

ROFL

She's an ex-cirencester student, so pimms facilities in the car are a neccessity.

i bought a JVC one 2 weeks ago, and ive allways avoided them before. It won a test on sound qaulity and has those bur brown dac whatevers etc on it lol.

Anyway, you can get it online for about £95!! I paid £110 with a 2gig usb pen drive which subtley plugs straight into it, or you can use mp3s wma's offa cd etc. Its ipod ready too.

I am totally over the moon with it, particularly the bassy warm sound from mp3s, ease of use and it has far better build quality than any of the £300 alpine units ive had in recent years (sorry but its true!)

its a kd-g722, or if you want blingy moving graphics the G821 is an extra £30.

I ordered the black one, as it looks very oe in the dash and it comes with a remote too, although i cant see the point at all its nice to have!

aha, your in winchester!, ill be there on friday night this week, so you can check it out if your about Mr Toad

aha, your in winchester!, ill be there on friday night this week, so you can check it out if your about Mr Toad

Cheers for the offer Nick, but we picked her one up a while back (There was abit of super thread ressurection going on here...)

See you on the 10th?

Toad, grew up in Ciren myself. Parents till live there. Nice place, apart from all the Aggie students :lol:

Anyone else any opinions on the JVC head units, always used Alpine myself but from what NickVR6 says I could well be tempted by one of these?

ive got a pioneer dehp9600 sitting here its the mutts nuts really is a great head unit plays mp3s etc downside is its american which means you dont get all the radio stations and theres a small mark on the little front (it might come off il try) just had a quick look on tinternet and its still £500 new if your/shes interested make me an offer