Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

Spare key cutting

Couldn't find my keys this mornin, so went and got my spare with the intention of finding the others when i returned from work. Got out to the car only to find the bloody spare doesnt fit either door lock (or the boot)!!

So i've been shafted on the spare when i bought the car. (should've checked i know).

So, is there anything i need to know in order to get a spare cut from the one useful key i do have?

My original set promptly materialised in the mrs's handbag!! :mad:

Thanks in advance...

You can get a spare cut from the original set, there's no chip in it to worry about.

If you lose a key, it's not too bad from VW, think it cost me £25 for 2 new keys.

There is no chip in my key and its a 95, it has a light but thats it.

Youll be able to get a pair cut at high street key cutter for less than a tenner.

VW AH profile keys are about £3 each but you can get versions with a light off a mk3 and the G60 or 16v special edition ones for about £15 (or £35 off eBay!)

VW used to cut them for free but they don't generally keep key cutting kit anymore - Morrisons seem to be the best place to go, never had a problem with Keys cut there...

Are you sure Goldie? AFAIK, all coil-pack VR's should have immobilisers which require the "key with a chip". My Storm defo has one.

I got a coilpack VR, and it has no immobiliser.

AFAIK the immobiliser is built into the aftermarket alarm system that is fitted and there isnt a key activated security device.

The 16V and G60 AH-profile keys (special order ones) are no longer available anywhere in the EU from via the dealer network, only ones to be found will be at tuning companies poss or on eBay...........

The 16V and G60 AH-profile keys (special order ones) are no longer available anywhere in the EU from via the dealer network, only ones to be found will be at tuning companies poss or on eBay...........

I bought one only 2-3 months ago... there is a joker on eBay that sells all sorts of stuff as rare and obselete that you can still get.

AFAIK the immobiliser is built into the aftermarket alarm system that is fitted and there isnt a key activated security device.

Most (if not all?) 95 cars had transponders in the key - way to check is to prise your key plastic apart and see if it's got this little rectagular block inside, just over 1cm long IIRC

way to check is to prise your key plastic apart and see if it's got this little rectagular block inside

Ill investigate this... Both of the keys i have start the car (once the GT alarm and immobiliser are deactivated)