Sign in to follow this  
Crispy

Can't afford a new subframe....Will a MK3 one fit?

Hi, a quickie if anyone can help - need to replace lower/rear subframe on my '92 16v C (amongst other parts!), looking at £250 odd for the correct one, but heard from a chap at gsf that mk3 golf will fit and be much cheaper? He was confident, but I didn't wanna bother him by asking for part no.s or particulars, so I thought I'd bother you lot instead. As you do.

Anywhere I can find good technical info & part refs to save looking daft in VW parts counter?! Not sure if or how to find this on here? Ta!

Or why not try and see if you can get a secondhand one from one of the cars being broken for parts on here. Check the for sale section!

Have very nearly signed & sealed a 2nd hand, but word of a new one at £130ish was enuf to tempt me toward peace of mind of a new one - I have £400s worth of Konigsports to fit so would it not be silly to try and save a mere £100 on 2nd hand? Thanks for the link Louie Lungbubble, I couldn't find that, but I was on the lines of a mk3 frame fitting which would make it worth buying new?

ETKA - I assume this is parts ref software? I know nothing... Ta evry1, and if anybody has fitted the later please let me know!

Yeah, ETKA is the parts daddy, but no-one's oficially supposed to have it.

It'd be pointless asking anyone who's got it to burn a copy off too, because no-one's officially got it.

So I wont.

:silent:

I fitted a Goof Vr6 subframe to my C VR6. All exactly the same except for the 2 fixing plates that are to the rear of the car. The golf ones are a few inches longer and the furthest fixing hole needs moving (re-drilling). Nothing too difficult, just time consuming when on your own as you don't want to chance cocking up another subframe and you only have yourself to blame!!

Cheers Niges16V, that helps, also I've heard there is a sump cushion of some sort on the later - is it on the Vr6?