Sign in to follow this  
shephard

excessive smoking

excessive smoking I have just bought a vw corrado 1.8 16v and it seems to be smoking quite a bit does anyone know the cause or had a problem like this at all. would be grateful for some help.

Smoking??

On start up, all the time, what colour is the smoke, is it comming from the back end or underneathe the car?????

Smoking??

On start up, all the time, what colour is the smoke, is it comming from the back end or underneathe the car?????

.. or from the passengers?

it doesnt smoke when first started only when it heats up a bit it is white smoke and when started it smells a bit like oil then more like petrol. cheers

does it seem to be using oil?

is it definately white?

usually:

white=steam which can just be moisture produced from combustion which is normal and a lot more obvious in the winter as the car warms up or if there is serious amounts of it, a blown head gasket.

bluey white=oil being burned, ususally happens more on startup,under load or on over run, could be worn rings/bores, valve stem seals, head gasket blown to an oilway, over filled oil.

black=excess fuel, engine is overfueling due to poor timing, poor mixture set up, dead temp sender, faulty lambda sensor (or a jabba chip :lol: )

thanks, its definately not black and its not bluey either, as i put my foot down it gets worse to a certain point where im touching the floor and it seems to clear

I HAVE A 1.8 16V TOO AND MINE SMOKES A BIT ASWELL, i found that it was more obviouse in the summer when it was hot and i was stuck in traffic , anyway the other day i thought i would put a set of new plugs in ,, and on pulling the leads found that the spark plug wells were full of oil , each well had "less oil in" the further away it was from the oil filler cap,, i thought it may have some bearing

The 16v seems to give these symptoms when the valve stem seals need doing.. the gf's C ('93 2.0 16v) does this as well.. (fine on start up, starts smoking on idle when warm, a little when opening it up a bit)

gettin them done in the next couple of months..

generally the stem seals go at about 100,000-110,000 miles

HTH