Sign in to follow this  
Jim

New top mounts - front end taller!

Hello folks! Sweated (or should that be froze) it out on Sunday along with 2cc changing the old top mounts on my 2.0 16v this weekend.. replaced the old 16v parts with some nice new VAG Corrado VR6 ones.

Only problem is, now its all done, the front end is noticably taller than the back end! I'm not saying like its gone like an off roader but there is a definate difference between the front and back, where they were of course level before!

Will top mounts settle / bed in (and consequently drop a little) or do I ideally want to wind my coilovers down a bit before getting my suspension alignment done?

Cheers :)

They should settle by a few mm after a few months- mine were the same.

Has it made a difference to the drive?

At first it seemed to. Its definately tugging left and right less on most road surfances. But I think it needs a full alignment and a new narrower set of tyres to improve it properly. But my bank balance doesn't agree that its a good time to do that right now!

Tell me about it!

Full alignment isn't exactly cheap, but probably worth doing when your finances are up to it ;)

Depends where you go I suppose! A place local to us does a proper laser alignment with the latest kit for approx £30....

That's pretty good. Got laser alignment done locally on mine for around £20 recently, but prob nowhere near as good as going somewhere like Stealth. Only took them about 10 minutes to do it. Good enough for me though, on my budget!

Thing is I have new rear axle bushes and new wishbone bushes waiting to go on the car so i'm loathed to do an alignment now only to need to do it again when I get those done.. but.. the car feels like it needs an alignment bad so. Arrghh..

Jim, get a few miles on it before you get it all aligned again.

Do you know when the back top mounts were last done?

I've no idea mate but i'd assume (dangerous thing to do!) they were done when the suspension it has on it were put on.. about 2-3 years ago? The front top mounts were really not as lunched as I expected them to be tbh.. they were just a bit stiff and certainly not like some of the fossils i've seen in galleries on here when people have changed them!