Sign in to follow this  
julesz

Fuel smell

Anyone any ideas on this problemo... Sometimes (especially when cold) i get a strong smell of petrol inside the car (and also in engine bay if i open the bonnet), after starting. It doesnt happen all the time and goes away as soon as the engine is warm. If i sit defrosting the car at standstill with blowers on max it gets really stinks!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :(

Maybe the fuel hose on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Mine had come slightly lose & made a hell of a stink. A quick tighten of the jubilee clip sorts it out.

It's located to the left of the fuel rail, just below the inlet manifold.

Yeah, i think that could be it. Im sure its coming from around that area - will have a look in a moment... Cheers :p

Well, theyre as tight as they could be but its definitely around there somewhere. Could it be possible for the FPR itself to be leaking??

Well, theyre as tight as they could be but its definitely around there somewhere. Could it be possible for the FPR itself to be leaking??

Got same problem mate - same symptoms and its the fuel pipe that runs from the engine to the chassis member underneath the car.,.... take a look - only does it when cold.

I read about this somewhere - check out the bit at the bottom left on this attachment. Could be the problem your having...........

Sorry - couldn't get attachment working but here's what it says,

'Main fuel feed pipe on 8-valve models often perishes at junction with fuel injection rail. Very cheap and easy to repair but needs early attention as potential fire hazard. If you smell petrol this is ilkely to be the cause.'

The picture shows some hand pointing at a pipe just behind the oil filler cap.

This came from a review on G60's.

yeah they all leak there....push on the hose,wiggle it...it'l prob spray a little bit of fuel....i just cut of the end and re fitted it

make sure you fix it straight away....ive had an engine fire before..not funny :oops:

I had exactly the same thing on my G60 about 5 years ago. Took me ages to actually locate the problem because a soon as you would pop the bonnet to have a look the fuel had evapourated. Basically it was the same as the guys have said above - the rubber hose supply the fuel pressure reg (to the left hand side as you stand looking at the engine, between the inlet manifold & rocker cover - i.e. in valley behind the oil filler) was leaking slightly. This was particularly noticeable on cold starts & woul go as soon as the car was on hot running. I had tried tightening the jubilee clip on a number of occasions with limited success. Eventually replaced the rubber pipe to find it had numerous very fine radial cracks in it around the end so as not to seal properly. N.B. When removing this pipe make sure there are no naked lights and preferrably the engine is cold and not running ( have a fire extinguisher handy) wrap the pipe in an old cloth first too - there is quite a high pressure in this pipe even without the engine running held between the fuel pump & the pressure reg & it is very easy to spray petrol everywhere if not careful. Safety warning aside it is very straight forward and a new pipe costs about £15 - £20 as I recall. :?

I had exactly the same problem on my car (random smell of fuel) took it to my mechanic (only good with Lego myself) and he sorted it in two minutes but cutting the pipe going into the throttle body I think. It had started to perish at the join I had my car in for service at VW and they recommended I changed the fuel cap. So let’s see smell comes from engine change fuel cap YEAH right. If you still haven’t sorted it I will call him and get the technical low down for you.

HTH

Well, had a go over the weekend, gave the main fuel feed hose a good old push and it slid on another few millimetres. All seems fine now. Cheers all, i can now breathe fresh air in the mornings :D