Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

First problem!

I picked my car up at 6 tonight. I love it :D Sooo much better than my MK2 Golf GTI 16v. The drive is great, true drivers car. Now i have a problem! The heater gives out no heat :( at this time of year seeing polar bears in puffa jackets i think i need some heat :lol: It was warmish when i drove away from picking it up but then went cold, by the way the heater thing is on the hottest. Temp of my car was 96 yet still freezing cold air coming in....any ideas?

my bowden cable attached to the back off the heat control slider had bent back double on its self so was no longer pushing the flaps to open for hot air

hth

Hi, welcome,

I'm another MK local (well Northampton but work in MK), there's quite a few Corrado owners about locally and a good few 16v's too.

Mine's a 1990 1.8 16v and I've had most of it to pieces so feel free to drop us a 'pm' if you want to ask about anything.

The heat problem could be a couple of things, the heater matrix by-pass valve (under the bonnet, between the inlet and outlet hoses through the bulkhead for the heater matrix) as Jim has pointed you to with the search. This should have been done about 10 years ago as a recall, in fact your old golf should have had one too, they do fail after all those years under the bonnet and for safety this then blocks the flow to your heater matrix.

Also, although the older style dash with the slider controls is more sturdt than the later corrados with rotory dials, the operating wires can jump off or bits break, far more likely to be the by-pass valve though.

you can just remove this as a temporary fix, and replace it with a bit of copper tube or something but for long term safety to prevent a bursting matrix over your feet it would be best to source a new valve from Volkswagen, although if you're lucky one off a golf from a scrappy may still be serviceable - look for a shiny one that's just been replaced :wink:

perhaps see you around sometime, the E38 meet at 'The' Caldecote is a good time to catch up with people. Keep an eye peeled for 'Bally's' event announcements.

David.

Aldi have got a good deal on Hot water bottles at the moment......

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the link Jim.

Going to check out the bypass valve thing tommorow....might put a bit of copper pipe in there for the mo'.....only trouble is im about as much good as mudflaps on a tortoise when it comes to anything mechanical!! Im ok at electrical and stereo install's.

davidwort,

Caldecote is 2 mins away from me! Good to know there are a few 'Rado owners in and around the area!

Yeap.. I organise MK meet.. should have a meet in a few weeks... :wink:

Hi Mancorr, Welcome to the forum.

Just had a similar problem with a MK2 Golf with the recall heater bypass. Seems that the valves fail after a while. I've replaced mine with two bits of pipe and it work fine (stealer wanted £36 for a replacement).

Just beware that the mod was done to protect the heater matrix, so bypassing puts you at risk of hot coolant on your feet!