Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

top hose hot...bottom cold?

When engine is warm/hot the top hose is hot on the rad, the bottom is cold....could this have something to do with my heating not coming out hot? If so what is it?

Mancorr, what is happening with the temps? If oil and water are taking a long time to get up to correct temps, the stat is prob stuck open as nocrap says.

Mancorr, what is happening with the temps? If oil and water are taking a long time to get up to correct temps, the stat is prob stuck open as nocrap says.

Engnie temp is getting hot fairly quickly, about the same as my old GTI 16v. How do i change the thermostat....where does it live?

Its a 1990 1.8 16v mate.

Hi

Just checked the russian site for your car. The stat is in the water pump housing.

Water pump. Where does he live and is it a big job? Thanks so far for advice....im sure this could be the reason for me having no hot air and having to dress up like an eskimo every time i go for a drive!!

Do a search, been loads of threads recently....guess its the cold weather

Wouldn't like to say if its a big job as the car is a corrado.........but it shouldn't be

Not a big job. You need to move the PAS pump bracket out of the way- this is 3 or 4 bolts. Give them all a good soak in WD40 or similar a couple of days in advance. As soon as the bracket is out of the way, just remove the stat housing and stat. I would replace the housing as well as the stat, as they get brittle with age. Best to get under the car and have a look- it will all become clear.

Otherwise, it shouldn't take any decent garage more than 45 minutes to do.

Thanks Cazza :)

I will have a look under my car and see if i can work it out. Im not very good with mechanics and dont have a Haynes on the Corrado yet....i do have a Haynes on a MK2 Golf which covers the GTI 16v, im sure they will be the same?

I had a horrible thought last night that it could be the head gasket (dont know why!) looked at oil filler cap and in water bottle this morning and no mayo under cap or fuel looking stuff in water bottle. There is a bit of smoke coming out of exhaust to which my girlfriend made a remark when she was following home after buying the car and said it smelt of fumes to such an extent she had to back off....really hope its not the HG?!! Must add the car has a full VW history (she has 150,420 miles on her) but has not had a service carried out for 14 months since last owner had her. Oil looks ok, not black or gungy. I bought everything for a full service yesterday including injection cleaner. Also filled her up with V-Max Shell as prev' owner has been using horrible super market petrol. I only used Shell V-Power on my Golf GTI valve.

i was just going to ask exactly the same question my bottom hose is cold and it takes about 15 mins for the water temp to get up to about 80 degrees.

Also i had a water leak from the bottom of the water pump - i was losing a pint of water every 50 miles or so. It's now stopped but i am going to change it. Could any damage have been done it's strange that it stopped leaking itsself.

Sorry to hijack your thread