Sign in to follow this  
jackroo

Drove my first VR - need advice

Hi there I am going to buy a new Corrado very soon and I am just trying to find out as much information about it as possible. I know it’s a long shot but I know that some people Go onto other VW forums or have possible owned or know this Corrados history.

The car I might buy is a VR6 - Registration is: M906NNA which I think looks like MADONNA I know the previous registered owner was in London.

If anyone either knows the car or has any historical data, I would much appreciate it. I will of course get a HPI before I decide to buy the car anyway.

The Trip:

I went to Macclesfield from Leicester today and it took ages partly because of the bad whether but also because of my huge hang over from last night. Was a 4 hour round trip.

The colour of the car is Grey/Blue and have never seen one in the flesh and thought that most pictures make the colour look a bit drab but when I actually saw it in the flesh I tought it looked really smart.

When I got there It was absolutely pissing it down so I did not get a really close look at the paint work, but what I did see looked absolutely perfect and the imperfections in the body that he pointed out where tiny dings which I would have struggled to see without him pointing them out or polishing it. He told me both sides have had some paint work done. So I will take a closer look when/if I go to buy it, he said the paintwork was done to get rid of some scratches and its very hard to see.

After the drive when he showed me the power and got to 90MPH in 3rd gear (Fantastic it just kept going) I was sold on the car. It felt solid, the interior was standard and mint the seats where firm and felt nicer than the ones in my old Golf MK4.When I drove it was far smoother than the G60 I went to see a while back and the ride felt very sporty and could not believe the smoothness of the gearchanges and the clutch for a car that was not that modern and had done over 90k

After this I checked of my things to check list - (http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... _Checklist)

The only 2 non standard things on the car where Clear side repeaters which I don’t understand why anyone would change, but they did not affect the overall appeal.

The car has done 94K and I am sure I did a check which showed that the car has had 6 previous owners. And the guy selling it has only had it for a year and a half. I just don’t want to be sold a Nail as I don’t earn that much and would eventually have to use this as a daily car.

Just looked on the Forum he has had recent problems with the clocks (Speedo stopped working) whilst trying to fix the auto rise on the spoiler (Still does not work) and has reset the ECU to basic settings. It also looks like he also had a problem with the drop links. I have not confirmed he has fixed all of these problem but I believe he has and will ask him when I next see him.

I just wondering if anyone knows any history on this Car and/or can offer me any reason why I shouldn’t buy it as I really like it.

If you don't earn that much and are using it as a daily driver, do you really want a corrado vr6? Not the most reliable or cheap to fix car to be honest mate.

My advice would be to go and look at a few more.

There are plenty out there, you will know when the one comes up that is right for you.

Not the most reliable or cheap to fix car to be honest mate.

Agreed, i wouldnt let that stop you though.

Just remember, Corrados are funny things, once youve had one most people cannot get rid of them, they are like a disease!!

well to be honest after thinking about it, I might just bang it in my dads garage and use it in the summer. and drive my Polo diesel to work and back. I just cant believe how solid the car felt for its age, I suppose its just a sign of how well its been kept.

I've had my VR for 3yrs and it's used as a daily driver and apart from the MODs I've done to it - I could have got away with spending £50 on it for repairs. Just your luck with the motor I guess. I'd go for it - you won't look back!

I presume you have no Corrado history your self, nor your dad. The next best thing is to get familiar with the usual problems by looking at the forum, as you have done. As DOUBLE already said, the VR6 isn't cheap to run on a limited budget. Whereas my 16v (1994) has cost me next to nothing, except petrol (expected) and vandalism (unexpected). My 16v feels very solid too, and much more planted than some modern cars - there are the odd rattles which show signs of an old car and plasticy bits getting loose. As you already know, your main concern - on a budget - is the big cost items. Obviously I'd expect the normal 'wear' items to wear out quicker on a VR, such as joints etc; but as already said, a car like this I'd want some spare money in reserve. I personally would love the VR as a daily driver, but would expect to be buying maintenance parts on a regular basis - comes with the teritory. Your Polo will be much cheaper to run... if its not a nail, lol.

Oh and I take it you have a £1,000+ ready for the insurance - group 19 - , based on your 23 age, right?

If you don't earn that much and are using it as a daily driver, do you really want a corrado vr6? Not the most reliable or cheap to fix car to be honest mate.

good point, mine has been costing a small fortune most weeks since getting it.

luckily i can pinch a van from work so don't get stuck without a car, otherwise i'd be seriously thinking of something else.

its not that corrados are unrealible, its just they getting on a bit, all my problems are with small bits that would be on any car, water pumps, wipers, bearings, brakes, exhaust etc etc

its not that corrados are unrealible, its just they getting on a bit, all my problems are with small bits that would be on any car, water pumps, wipers, bearings, brakes, exhaust etc etc

Id be looking to try and fine one where most of these things have already gone wrong.

When i got mine i had quite a few things go wrong on the bounce but it does level off!!

IIRC my old 2.0 16v was a group 14.

think mine was classed as a group 16 coz it wasn't that much difference between the vr.

if i was your age i'd think about a 2l valver & get a kr cam fitted, not be as fast as a vr but it'll still be plenty quick! but then once you've been in a vr you cant really see past 'em, it's the noise they make, that's what done it for me! if you can afford the insurance then go for it but get as much info as poss before buying. maybe have a look on this forum coz most of the cars that come up for sale are enthusiast owned & if they have it in the members gallery then you'll see all the history. you just have to remember the youngest corrado is over 11 years old so things can & will go wrong! you just have to hope its none of the expensive things! get yourself a credit card with a huge limit! :lol:

Cheers guys, dont get me wrong I mean I have enough money saved up to buy a TT but I dont want to waste it all on something which is that common, I want to save money up for my future etc, i think the deal I will make is. I will buy the car, but use it as a daily car leave it in my dads garage get insured on it for social only and let my dad drive it if he pays for the Tax. Insurance is about a grand as I crashed my Polo last year. But only tried elephant so far.

No need for jokes about I wont be able to handlee the Corrado as I had a Golf GTi MK4 before that and did not get a scrape in that + I am really not planning to thrash this. Why would anyone want to drive fast in a car which looks so good.

I have a few more questions for the guy but generally I think I am pretty positive about getting it.

A few things I noticed the rear spoiler does not work on auto and the temperature/fan dials have been replaced with one from a passat so the setting are out.

I agree purple-corrado-dude I really cant see past them, I maybe would have settled for a good G60 but I was amazed at how different they feel to drive.

I will keep you all posted on the outcome, cheers guys.