Sign in to follow this  
MillSpeed

Differences between G60 02a box and KR 16v 02a box?

I'm trying to decide what to do with the G60 turbo lump I've had lying around for ages. I was going to sell it but it looks like that's fallen through so I was thinking about getting myself a Mk2 Golf C and building up a little sleeper. I've got a G60 02a box that's had the front mounting lug snapped off it. Since I originally planned to mount it in a Mk1 this wasn't a problem (I've also monkeyed around with the diff casing aswell trying to fit a mk1 rear mount), but obviously when mounted into a mk2/Corrado that lug is used. Anyways, to cut a long story short, I was wondering if a valver box was geared any differently to the G60 box? Since the bottom end of my G60 is fully race balanced with a lightened flywheel it'll more than likely rev like a 16v especially without the G(renade)-Lader to worry about. Or is the G60 box stronger and should I stick with it?

Cheers,

Chris

Mr Miller!

This guy is using a valver box in his g60, and he is having traction issues as the gearing is a bit low....

Also how high is your rev limiter? You using digifant?

How's it goin fella? Good find, muchos gracias. Yeah, still got the digi 1 but will probably get an SNS chip made minus the rev limiter. Just thinking aloud at the mo, will probably just end up trying to sell the engine again!

Didn't the weasel in swansea take it in the end?

There's a really good 16v turbo thread on here at the moment, might be some interesting reading for you....

Got to go, got a million things to do tonight, start my new job tomorrow... Catch you soon.

have a look at the drivetrain section of the knowledge base, the kr 16v box is just about the lowest ratio 02a box there is, you're looking at about 7,200 rpm to reach 60 in second on standard circumference 195-50-15 tyres the 2L 16v boxes are slightly longer legged and VR6 internals about the highest gearing.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the G60 turbo lump I've had lying around for ages. I was going to sell it but it looks like that's fallen through so I was thinking about getting myself a Mk2 Golf C and building up a little sleeper. I've got a G60 02a box that's had the front mounting lug snapped off it. Since I originally planned to mount it in a Mk1 this wasn't a problem (I've also monkeyed around with the diff casing aswell trying to fit a mk1 rear mount), but obviously when mounted into a mk2/Corrado that lug is used. Anyways, to cut a long story short, I was wondering if a valver box was geared any differently to the G60 box? Since the bottom end of my G60 is fully race balanced with a lightened flywheel it'll more than likely rev like a 16v especially without the G(renade)-Lader to worry about. Or is the G60 box stronger and should I stick with it?

Cheers,

Chris

Hmmm, I have a US spec ATA box. No idea if that's a good or a bad thing, I really need to get to grips with ratios! Actually the only difference between the ATA and the ATB is the final drive......3.684 in the ATA vs. 3.450 in the ATB.

Hmmm, I have a US spec ATA box. No idea if that's a good or a bad thing, I really need to get to grips with ratios! Actually the only difference between the ATA and the ATB is the final drive......3.684 in the ATA vs. 3.450 in the ATB.

If you have another look at the KB (knowledge base) there is a link at the bottom of the article on gearboxes with a spreadsheet for calculating speeds/rev.

You feed in the 'box data for your box, set the rev chnage point for the redline/limit on your car and it will throw back the info. Very useful for an 'on the road' comparison of the different types of box.

Bit wierd you have an ATA though!

What an awesome little tool, cheers for that!

Yeah, there's a story behind me having an ATA. Was rummaging round a scrap yard in oklahoma when I found a mangled G60. The bloke let me have the whole car for $300 so I stripped the engine and running gear out and shipped it home. This was back when G60 engines were still commanding a relatively high premium. I kinda feel duty bound to do something with it after all the effort me and my uncle went to getting the bugger shipped to the UK.