Sign in to follow this  
dnac

Bottom Pulley removal - On 2ltr 16v

Ok, I am trying to do my head gasket, i need to get the pulley off so that I can remove the plastic cover and change the belt.

Problem is, I have removed the large bolt in the centre, and although the pulley does move, it does not seem to want to come off,

Have I missed something please?

Ok, I am trying to do my head gasket, i need to get the pulley off so that I can remove the plastic cover and change the belt.

Problem is, I have removed the large bolt in the centre, and although the pulley does move, it does not seem to want to come off,

Have I missed something please?

you don't need to remove the cam belt pulley only the two v belt pulleys, the big v belt pulley with the damper ring built in can sieze a bit to the toothed cam belt pulley so it can sometimes look as if you need to remove the crank bolt.

Now you have undone this bolt you should really replace it with a new VAG one as they are stretch bolts I believe, or you can buy a non stetch type too.

I agree, recently done mine.

Replace with a passat DX type crank sprocket bolt.

And if you're going to separate the two, make a mark where they should line up for when you refit!

EDIT - because otherwise your bottom pulley timing marks won't line up.

And if you're going to separate the two, make a mark where they should line up for when you refit!

BUGGER!!!!! I take it the crank does not have a keyway in it?

BUGGER!!!!! I take it the crank does not have a keyway in it?

it does, but can be damaged if the bottom pulley works loose (which is why the bolts are so critical)

damaged crank end thread

Thank god for that!!!, I will deffo be buying a new bolt.....and a Workshop Manual.

By the way, whats the best manual to get, Halfrauds only have a golf one, I have seen a few on Ebay, but am unsure whether they are good or not?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-COR ... dZViewItem

I'd start with a haynes manual, should be able to pick up the passat manual 1988-91, purple/pink one (now discontinued/replaced) from e-bay for a couple of quid. that has all the torque settings etc in it although as usual some of the diagrams, figures and descriptions for doing work is a bit sketchy, it does at least cover the 2L 16v 9a engine to some degree and a lot of the other mechanicals and electrics are identical.

not seen any of the other stuff off e-bay and the USA Bentley manual which is expensive (IRO 80 quid) in printed form has a lot of USA specific stuff in it which can be a little confusing, best for VR6/G60 cars.

it does, but can be damaged if the bottom pulley works loose (which is why the bolts are so critical)

Aah.. This happened to the girlfriends Polo 16v just before xmas. We did the cam belt on it back in March 2006, but didn't replace the bottom pulley bolt with a new one. Didn't realise they were stretch bolts.. It did work its way loose, and the v-belt pulley came off!!! Luckily she wasn't on the M'way, and also the cam pulley stayed on, so no internal damage was done.

Had to buy new pulleys though, as they were both damaged, and also a new bolt. Did have to call a mobile engineer too, as the crank thread was slightly damaged... All back together and ok now though....

Ray Lines was the engineer i called out. Local mobile engineer who deals mostly with the motor trade. All the local main dealers use him... Top bloke, and saves having to get the parts to a machine shop.....

Cheers

Steve