Sign in to follow this  
dirtysanta

Intermittant ABS Problem

Iv got a 1994 VR6. When im driving every now and again the ABS light comes on and the ABS stops working. The car brakes fine but will lock up under heavy braking. Theres no regular pattern to this. The light will come for a period of time and then go off. If i switch the engine off and then restart it the light goes out and the ABS comes back on again. Then after a while the light will come back on again and after a further period of time will go back off and so on.......

Has anyone else had the same problem ?

mine has exactly the same problem, more often than not the ABS light stays illuminated after startup.

Its been happening since I had a short on the stereo, causing a flat battery several times over a month. I thought maybe this had something to do with it, but the wiring has been replaced, and the battery is fine now, and I still get this 70% of the time.

I don't have VAG-Com though :(

I discovered this week that it was a dody connection on the ABS plugs near each top mount!

Try to open the bonnet, disconect them and give them a spray with some contact cleaner.

It worked with me in the same moment! :)

I get this problem too.Turn the ignition key and the light comes on,start up and it goes off as it should.As soon as the car starts moving then the light comes on,if the weather is dry it tends not to come on.Wet weather or damp conditions it comes on,possibly the idea of trying the contacts may be worth a try.As soon as it stops raining--------about June I think :D :)

mine also does the same, but i have notice that if i get a clicking sound from the passenger side footwell the abs light goes out, and if no click it stays on

is there a relay or something down there somewhere :scratch:

Iv got a 1994 VR6. When im driving every now and again the ABS light comes on and the ABS stops working. The car brakes fine but will lock up under heavy braking. Theres no regular pattern to this. The light will come for a period of time and then go off. If i switch the engine off and then restart it the light goes out and the ABS comes back on again. Then after a while the light will come back on again and after a further period of time will go back off and so on.......

Has anyone else had the same problem ?

Oh yes.

My car is going in to the garage on wednesday to sort this out once and for all.My ABS light now goes out where as it used to be on constantly.When the light goes out there is a weird grinding feeling on the brake pedal(like it's pressing against a piece of metal).There's also a kind of groaning sound with the steering occasionally.At the moment I feel like I want all trace of the ABS system taken out the car.

Had this sorted today.Turns out the drivers'-side sensor was done for and needed a new one(£49).Now on start -up,the light comes on then goes out as it should.The groaning/grinding was discs and pads(rear)knackered apparently.So,all in all 200 bucks-I can live with that.

Next..

Could be a number of things. The best option is to try the easy items, and less costly items first; so do try the sensor contacts. Could also ensure the face of the actual sensor is ok/CLEAN.

Mine had a fault at teh rear, and turned out to be the rear sensors, for which the connection can be found under the rear seat. To find this out, I had to hook it up to a diagnostic.

Some people here (Tempest) know the codes for the early Corrados. Failing this you need a VAG-com; a VW wanted £80 off me, so I found a local garage that could do it for £5.

mine has exactly the same problem, more often than not the ABS light stays illuminated after startup.

Its been happening since I had a short on the stereo, causing a flat battery several times over a month. I thought maybe this had something to do with it, but the wiring has been replaced, and the battery is fine now, and I still get this 70% of the time.

I don't have VAG-Com though :(

not to bump this unnecessarily but the intermitant problem with mine is definately related to the battery being flat, as I charge it for a day and was running it regualry since I last posted here, and had no problem with the ABS. 2 weekends ago I went to Prague and didn't drive the car for 5 days, I get to it and the battery is flat, I jump it and take it for a drive and now have the ABS problem 50% of the time I start the car.

just FYI

Yeah - the ABS needs good battery voltage to work, stick a new one in there - will be fine

it is a new battery, I have a short/earth somewhere, and we all know how easy they are to find :(

Indeed, when the engine is running the alternator should provide MORE than enough juice to run the ABS with no problems whatsoever.

Quick bit of advice for any ABS related problems:

I've had numerous ABS fault indications over the last 12 years of Corrado motoring, as has been said, it's usually the one of the ABS sensors.

Cleaning them has never cured any faults for me, it's generally an internal failure of the sensor probably due to water ingress.

What is useful is a simple way of narrowing it down to which sensor it is. Just measure the resistance of all four sensors with a digital multimeter and compare the values. My most recent intermittent failure which after a while became a hard failure showed the following values;

Three sensors @ 1250 ohms

One @ 1700 ohms

The high res one was replaced, fault gone.

Hope this may help someone save time and money.

PS. does anyone know any alternative sensors for the rear, I'm sure its only the cable and connector that make them corrado specific?