Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

VR broke down and then would not restart, now fixed

The VR broke down on the way home tonight. Lost all power and came to a halt. Will not restart. RAC man to the rescue!!! Very good RAC man in fact, seems to think it is the Coil/Ignition module that is mounted on the firewall on the early VR with dizzy. Would anyone local to me be willing to lend me theirs for a few mins to see if he is correct?

Now fixed, it was the ignition module, now a few quid lighter in my wallet but VR now running. If anyone has the same symtoms here's what I found. I disconnected the 3 pin plug to the ignition module, brown pin is an earth, black pin is 12V feed when the ignition is on, red and black pin is a control voltage from the ecu, this showed 1.4ish V when the engine was cranked over. So all of that was good, but I wasnt getting a spark. New ignition module fixed it. I havent heard of one going before.

Also of note is that the engine had been taking a while to start for a good year or so, with the new ignition module it start immediatly.

good post mate, its nice to get some feedback on a problem, you all too often see post about problems that never conclude :salute: