Sign in to follow this  
Majik

Why Bosch spark plugs?

From all the posts i've read everyone recommends bosch w6dpo but are the NGK PGR6D (P/N 101000047AB)the same?

i've just found these in my g60 and been told these are platinum and the bosch equivalent.

not sure to be honest but i use the bosch ones and they last ages, and im happy with them. they are OEM approved so thats good enough for me

i know this isnt exaclty relevant but, many years ago, i put ngk plugs in my sicrocco scala 1.8i, almost as soon as i did this the cold starting was absolutely crap. thinking that it was something with the injection system i paid a fortune for a local bosch service centre to check it out. he confirmed everything to be ok. however as soon as i changed the plugs for bosch ones the problem went away. so from then on all my cars (vw or otherwise) have used bosch plugs.

just a thought

jim

NGKs will *work*.. but Bosch are the proper spec, last longer, and come with the proper gap. this is such an integral park of a well-behaved car that i wouldn't mess around.

Yes I have got W6DPO's in mine but did have NGK's (but not the same part number as you Majik??)

I have not noticed any difference in the performance but as G60 says they are the recomended plug and will probably last much longer. (I don't really mind paying £40 for a set of plugs that will last 40k miles)

I use NGK BPR6ES in my Corrado G60 - they are about $4 each. You can replace the set 4 times for cost of 1 set of W6DPO's

If you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of platinum plugs. The ONLY benefit they give is you can forget to change them for a loooong time (the average car owner doesn't understand the concept of replacing "maintenance" items every 2-3 years).

And I never trust some $1/day worker overseas to pre-gap correctly, so I always check regardless before installing. Takes 2 seconds.

Edit: PS: gap is 0.025"

Skye

its actually 0.024 - 0.028 :)

The gap is ususually set at the smallest end of the range to account for widening as the electrodes wear. I check my plugs every copule of months so its no big deal

I'm going to experiment with 0.030 - 0.035 gaps when the car's back on the road, as well as indexing the plugs so the open part of the electrode faces the incoming charge, its a old and cheap tuning trick to gain a couple horses. But for indexing you need an assortment of usually 6-7 plugs for a 4 cyl.

Skye

so how do you 'index' a triple electrode Bosch plug then? :wink:

its actually 0.024 - 0.028 :)

The gap is ususually set at the smallest end of the range to account for widening as the electrodes wear. I check my plugs every copule of months so its no big deal

I'm going to experiment with 0.030 - 0.035 gaps when the car's back on the road, as well as indexing the plugs so the open part of the electrode faces the incoming charge, its a old and cheap tuning trick to gain a couple horses. But for indexing you need an assortment of usually 6-7 plugs for a 4 cyl.

Skye