Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Changing the Lambda

I tried changing my lambda probe yesterday but couldn't get the damn thing off for the life of me! There's no access to get a spanner round it while the cat is on the car. I think its rusted up so I can't get enough pressure on it to remove it. Any ideas? I've tried WD40!! Don't suppose there's a special tool for getting it off is there? My next resort is to take the cat off first but the screws holding the cat on are so knackered I won't get them back on so I need to get replacements first.

no special tools , i've only ever done this with the cat off tbh , you might be better off getting the local tyre and exhaust monkeys to do it , iirc the charged me £10 to swop mine for my decat

Really a ramp job this. And I found an adjustable spanner was much better than anything else, just seemed to fit in the space (but still tight).

I used a ring spanner round it (22mm if i remember correctly) after cutting the cable to get it over. Just about got access and a few 'taps' with a hammer sorted it.

Same here, as the Lambda on G60s at least is almost facing upwards, it's difficult to get the sensor out. I used a big 22 mm ring spanner, fed the wiring loom through that to get the spanner to the sensor, and tugged and tugged until it came loose.

Tempest

Ring spanner here too...spent 30 mins with a open ended spanner & adjustable then thought sod this ,cut the wire dropped a ring spanner around it, hung of it like a monkey and it opened first time (or tap with the hammer)....mega tight them probes.

I've never done the one on the Corrado so don't know the actual location but if it's possible to get a socket near it there are various companies make a deep 22mm with a slot down one side specifically for taking out lambda probes. I bought one from Draper for about a tenner but if you take a look at the following link you'll see what I mean. Obviously this one comes with SnapOn price attached! http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=69215&group_ID=1448&store=uk&dir=catalog

Those special sockets are pretty cool things, alas there's just not enough space on a Corrado cat to get them in (plus your ratchet or breaker bar) to undo the Lambdaprobe.

Tempest