Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

windscreen wipers out of sync

AAARRRGGGHHH :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

I am so p*ssed of with cars right now, I don't know whether to laugh or cry or just push them off a bloody cliff.

Driving along the M4 this morning in the rain and wind and the wipers on the VR decide to f**k up. The passenger side one took on a life of it's own and started to come over the driver side and then both wipers got stuck and I couldn't see a thing!! Luckily I was just coming up to a junction so I came off and had to drive really slowly with my window open so I could see where I was going.

Does anyone know what caused this?? I could really do with help because we need a least one car that is drivable :?

hopefully it will have come loose where the wiper bolts to the motor (bottom of the windscreen) (it may have stripped the threads :oops: or and less likely its working loose underneath on the arms by the scuttle cover , try the bolt at the bottom of the wiper arm first

or you could push it off a bloody cliff !!

bloody cliff ...........

PMSL@ Cliff Richard. I've been in a foul mood this morning since the windscreen wiper incident but you just made me laugh out loud so thanks GIXXERUK :lol:

I'll go and have a look at the wiper bolts when/if the rain eases off a bit.

:lol: just try and move the wiper by hand and you should see where its loose, it shouldnt move but it sounds like its either loose on the arm (bottom nut) or maybe underneath , i would guess its stripped the threads they are only soft, which will mean a new arm :-(

They are lupo wipers, are they expensive?

oh yes , is anything ever cheap :-( , try tightening it but my guess is that the splines will be knackered on the arm

IMO, mostly the splines will be OK, unless you are in the very naughty habit of switching on the wipers when they are frosted to the windscreen. :nono:

Fingers crossed for you.

Clean the arm and spindle up with a wire brush and bolt it back down tight. It should hold for the time being then... There's a group buy on the lupo wipers at the moment, might be worth contacting them and seeing if they'll do you a single arm?

If it's really loose then you may be able too...

Need a 13mm socket really tho - you may be able to do it using the end of the plastic screwdriver in the jack tool kit - thats 13 i think!

Not loose enough to come off easily. Don't think I have a plastic screwdriver in the jack kit :oops: .

If I had a socket, how does it actually come off though, I can't see anywhere to put the socket to undo. Is there a cover that comes off or something?

There is a circular black cap over the nut at the bottom of the wiper arm where it pivots, pop that off then you will see the nut.

should think you will be OK just tightening, mine did the same ages ago when I was passing Northampton - I left it til I got to Essex in intermittant rain and all was well :D it was just my passenger side that stopped working tho.

Andrew

Yeah, it's just my passenger side too but it keeps straying over to the driver side and then they both get stuck.

You should have seen me on the motorway this morning, I had the window open with my arm out poking the passenger wiper back over the side it should be :lol: Quite funny now I think about it but wasn't at the time because I couldn't see a bloody thing, luckily there was a traffic jam on the m'way so we were only crawling along anyway.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this rain stops by the time I finish work

you're in work ? work ? :-) hope its stopped raining

Well the rain held out until I got home (and I had to go the long way round as old bridge was shut, had my fingers crossed all the way)

I have tightened the bolt and that seems to be holding for now. (Keeping the socket in the car for a while!)

Thanks for everyones help :D (What would I do without this forum? :lol: )

(I like brackets)