Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Wheel bearing or brakes?

got a squeaking/squealing noise, deffo from front of car, goes away when you push brake, and after driving the whole wheel is very hot?

i'm pretty sure its a bearing

sounds like a caliper sticking, jack it up and check for play in the bearing , new pads and clean and lube the pins , put some copper grease on the backs of the pads

Sounds like a caliper binding, if the wheel is hot to touch after driving then the heat can cause increased wear on the bearing

Hi

Can you let me know if this has been fixed/stopped mines doing the exact same but it gets worse and worse.

Basically it pulls to the left slightly when driving and when the steering wheel is turned againt the natual left pull of the car there is a very loud squeak. as the the car pulls all the time and im constantly correcting this its constantly squeaking and really embarrasing as eveyone knows corrados get a lot of attention.

Other things i have noticed with this - I was positive when the squeaking started it was on the opposite turn, i.e when i turned right it squeaked and now it doing this turning left. Also it doesnt do it on a inital drive when the car is cold, it tends to kick in once everything is warmed up.

Can anyone give any advise/opinons on what to check, my thoughs on this are bearing, joints or wheel alignment (geometry) i dont think the brakes have any involvement?

Thanks in advance

Josh

this was some time ago, and i can't remember what it was in the ends, either way, i've had all the wheel bearings and all the brakes replaced since anyway.

Sounds like a caliper binding, if the wheel is hot to touch after driving then the heat can cause increased wear on the bearing

Hi

Can you let me know if this has been fixed/stopped mines doing the exact same but it gets worse and worse.

Basically it pulls to the left slightly when driving and when the steering wheel is turned againt the natual left pull of the car there is a very loud squeak. as the the car pulls all the time and im constantly correcting this its constantly squeaking and really embarrasing as eveyone knows corrados get a lot of attention.

Other things i have noticed with this - I was positive when the squeaking started it was on the opposite turn, i.e when i turned right it squeaked and now it doing this turning left. Also it doesnt do it on a inital drive when the car is cold, it tends to kick in once everything is warmed up.

Can anyone give any advise/opinons on what to check, my thoughs on this are bearing, joints or wheel alignment (geometry) i dont think the brakes have any involvement?

Thanks in advance

Josh

Josh

First off most cars 'seem' to pull to the left - its really quite hard to find a road without camber on it - its needed for drainage or rain. Therefore you could be looking at either side of the car.

The obvious check is to check which front wheel got hot; bear in mind that brakes always get too hot to touch, so you're looking for underiable heat in the wheel or somewhere. A crude way to check is to drive for a bit, when it squeeks or whines, get a mate to jump out and listen outside, on either side. This might save some time, because next you need to get your hands dirty.

I wouldn't drive far on this; each tiem you heat your brakes up you could be boiling the brake fluid (even though design to work at high temps), and you're very likely to be boiling the grease inside the hub (even if it isnt broke -yet), it goes liquid and drains out, leaving you with metal on metal.

Jack the car up and waggle the wheel as if you wanted to pull it off - there should be no clunking or play; play would mean bearings, clunk could be this too or the boot. Then whip off the wheel, and take off caliper; make sure pads are freely moving - first out of good habit, but secondly, if they're rusted into one place, its a sign the caliper piston has seized too. Also check for metal debris on the pads or disc, badly scratched etc; it maybe as simple as that - the pulling to the left maybe a myth/in-yu-head (unless its real bad)

Now look at piston, it should be in good nick; pump the brake gently once and see the piston moves (maybe put bit of wood in there to stop piston coming out too far. Now push piston back in - should slide back with good effort, all the way back/flush. Search other threads how to do this and how to take caliper off and take good care of it. Might even be in the wiki.

Next, hub/bearings...

Thats phase 1. The squeaking sounds heat related, therefore metal and driven. The pulling could be related, or could be unrelated and tracking.

Hi

Thanks in advance

Josh

Josh

First off most cars 'seem' to pull to the left - its really quite hard to find a road without camber on it - its needed for drainage or rain. Therefore you could be looking at either side of the car.

The obvious check is to check which front wheel got hot; bear in mind that brakes always get too hot to touch, so you're looking for underiable heat in the wheel or somewhere. A crude way to check is to drive for a bit, when it squeeks or whines, get a mate to jump out and listen outside, on either side. This might save some time, because next you need to get your hands dirty.

I wouldn't drive far on this; each tiem you heat your brakes up you could be boiling the brake fluid (even though design to work at high temps), and you're very likely to be boiling the grease inside the hub (even if it isnt broke -yet), it goes liquid and drains out, leaving you with metal on metal.

Jack the car up and waggle the wheel as if you wanted to pull it off - there should be no clunking or play; play would mean bearings, clunk could be this too or the boot. Then whip off the wheel, and take off caliper; make sure pads are freely moving - first out of good habit, but secondly, if they're rusted into one place, its a sign the caliper piston has seized too. Also check for metal debris on the pads or disc, badly scratched etc; it maybe as simple as that - the pulling to the left maybe a myth/in-yu-head (unless its real bad)

Now look at piston, it should be in good nick; pump the brake gently once and see the piston moves (maybe put bit of wood in there to stop piston coming out too far. Now push piston back in - should slide back with good effort, all the way back/flush. Search other threads how to do this and how to take caliper off and take good care of it. Might even be in the wiki.

Next, hub/bearings...

Thats phase 1. The squeaking sounds heat related, therefore metal and driven. The pulling could be related, or could be unrelated and tracking.

Thanks for you detailed reply Stuart and is much appriciated, im more than certain its what you have explained. There still is a definate pull to the left, i cant let the steering wheel free for a second as it would put me up the kerb! Will grab a friend tomorrow and get dirty. Thanks again :salute:

Whist ob the subject, I had a similar problem - my piston was siezed (front near side calliper). I simply sprayed sum plus gas around the piston, left to penetrate for an hour, came back and gave it a few sharpe blows wwith a mallet (protect the piston by covering it with a piece of wood) and hey presto, its working again. Next problem, wheel bearing was rattling, as said earlier probably from the heat generated by the rubbing disks and pads. Changed the bearing and reassembled. Now its runns lovely with no noise. However, when I get to around 50 mph, a massive vibration occurs from front passenger side. Only thing I've changed is the bearing, so I'm guessing it must be the bearing. I torqued it right up. Any ideas if you do get rogue bearings or maybe I've over tightened / Undertightened the hub nut?! Any ideas please. Im gona stripit again tomorow but could do with some clues as to what to look for?!! Cheers all.

I'v just noticed something simalar starting to mine,

very slight pull to the right but when I turn slightly to the left there is a high ptich squeeking noise coming from the left hand wheel.

Could some one tell me a check list of things to look for?

Thanks

Edit: Some point soon I will replace the front breaks with G60 ones, and replace all the bearings at the same time.