Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Burning oil for fun

My 1.8 valver is getting through oil for fun, burning waaaaay too much. The engine smokes quite badly, although it has gotten better since its had a service. An oil switch was found leaking, and was replaced, since then the smoking has gotten better, but its still there, it seems to get worse as the engine gets warmer too. Here is a pic of the residue left on the exhaust tip:

DSC00153.jpg

I enquired at a local garage and the reply was 'its an old engine' :roll:

I'm not very mechanically minded, but the car is coming off the road for 5 months at the end of Jan, so i'll have time and the space to have a crack at sorting it myself.

Any help welcomed.

first thing to consider would be valve stem seals, they may have just gone hard and cracked ...or if the car is high miles the valve guides could also be worn

whats the milage /history on it

Aye,head off job...Just reground the valves back into a mates head,and fitted new stem seals/camshaft oil seal.

Id find a decent garage and ask them to pressure test the cylinders,If you get air from the exhaust it points to stem seals/valve guides...if you get air at the breather it points at piston rings/oil scraper rings.

Neil. :)

Its just done 120k and has tonnes and tonnes of history. Full service history, well over 1.5inches of receipts.

Pressure test at the garage sounds like the first port of call then, hopefully just the valve stem seals so i can sort it myself

Well, the car is now no longer coming off the road, and its failed its MOT for dense blue smoke coming from the exhaust. If it is the valve stem seals i have 3 questions, if anyone can answer them:

If its just the valve seals that need replacing, how much?

If the head needs rebuilding too, how much?

If its ruined the pistons too and the block needs reboring, how much? Or is that new engine time?

personally i would get a compression test done first if the compression values are below standard then your looking pistons rings and possible reboring depending on the wear on the cylinders which can be measured once the head has been removed. whilst the heads off get new guides pressed in and rebuild the head with new stem seals and what ever else cam timing chain and tappets (if required) etc. If you intend to keep the car i'd be tempted to drop in some new rings and bottom end bearings aswell (aslong as the step on the cylinder is within range) as doing the stem seals and guides, as it will save you time and hassle from having doing it further down the line. Cost wise the parts you require aren't that much,a full head gasket set, bottom end bearings and piston rings its the labour cost of taking the engine apart and building it back up. I would say if your confident with the spanners do the stem seals yourself and try strip the head down as much as possible so the only cost would be getting the valve guides taken out and new guides pressed in. Hope that helps, pm me if you get stuck

If its chucking a load of smoke all the time its probably a combination of a few parts not just the stem seals. to rebuild an engine with piston rings, valve guides etc it will be around £400 in parts alone, if you cannot do it yourself add xxxx amounts for labour !

To be honest i would just change the motor, if you really want to rebuild yours you can keep it to one side and do it at your leisure !

16V motors are cheap enough, ive got a good 1.8 16v for sale, doesnt smoke. has FSH i only want £75-00 for it and i can send it down to you on a pallet, you could fit this and get your car mot'd etc than you have all the time in the world to completely rebuild the original engine, not that i think you would bother once the car is up and running again.

Jimmi..........................