Sign in to follow this  
Niges16V

Car for wifey - A3, Golf or Bora??

Need to get the wife a newer car for between £3-5k

She currently has a MkIII 1.8SE which she likes, although not very powerful so wanted to get something a bit more 'tasty'!

The obvious choice is another Golf - 4Mo or 1.8T

A Bora (same as above)

or A3 1.8 sport or 1.8T.

The Bora seems to be apprx £1500 cheaper than Golf of the same age/mls which is appealing, but I do like the A3! Trouble is these are a year so so older and at the 100k mark. Anyone know how these engines are post 100k?

What would you guys suggest??

SEAT leon?

Octavia VRS?

IMO:

Golfs are over priced for what they are, seem to be plenty of faults with them too.

A3s are way over priced but slightly better screwed together

Bora is the best buy of the 3 (car for the money) but still another small saloon which nobody is really good at styling.

of course if you want something really reliable then go Japanese...

I'd take the Bora every time - much more car for your money - just as well, if not better built than the A3.

My other halfs Bora is a 10 valve V5, performance similar to a 1.8T but with a really appealling growl and superb exhaust note.

They can be made to look pretty good for not a lot of money, also the average Bora seems to beeter looked after than your typical Golf seeing as they appealed more to the blue rinse brigade when new

I had a Leon Cupra as a company car for some time, it was nice but the interior is a bit bland, I hadn't considered the Skoda.

of course if you want something really reliable then go Japanese...

I was thinking of staying VW as I can find my way round them now....but I would consider other options. Did wonder about the Alpha 147 2l, not sure on a Yaris though!!

Alfa 147 - lovely car to look at, dubious electrical systems and woeful dealer service / back-up - I'd steer well clear

Non VW Group cars I'd consider:

Honda Accord

Subaru Legacy

Vectra GSi - if you could find an unmolested one

Mondeo ST200 - as above

Hmm, your Bora does look nicer with the bigger rims and your also right about them being in better condition.

I'll have a look round for some of your suggestions, but she does have a problem with 'big' cars so I think she won't like.

i've had a mk4 golf 1.6 se and it was a great car, it had 75k on it when i bought it and 97k when i sold it in that time it was serviced twice and i had nothing break on it at all..... i would highly recommend them as they are very welll built cars that still look cool, they look better than the piece of turd called a mk5 golf! And just as a rough ball park, i sold it for £3300 in the summer with tt alloys and stuff on it... (just so you know rough values, although i think that was top whack i got)