Sign in to follow this  
andy_vw

Idle problems / cutting out! 2.0ltr 16v

Hi all,

Got a problem that seems to be getting worse.

Car starts fine. When I stop (clutch down), the car seems to drop down to normal idle (1k) for a few seconds, then drops & cuts out. Sometimes the ECU saves it & brings it up to normal idle speed, but most of the time it will cut out. It started doing it a week ago, & its gradually got worse.

The alternator on the car is a bit crap - 12v output when all the electrics are on. A new one is in the post. Would this be anything to do with it?

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks,

Andy.

Oh no! Hope you get it sorted, Andy. Any other symptoms? Could it be the timing? I know Blake said the ecu would adjust for it, but I'm not convinced. When Vince at Stealth fitted the dizzy, he said the timing would need to be set up properly.

Try adjusting the timing yourself and see if it makes any difference. Just undo the bolt at the base of the dizzy and twist the dizzy (engine running, clockwise/anti-clockwise) slowly until it sounds smoother. Then take it for a drive and take it from there. May take 2 or 3 attempts to get it running better. Worth a shot as a temp fix until you can get it sorted properly. If that is the prob of course!

I cleaned the ISV a couple of months ago, but can't do any harm to do it again.

I'll clean the ISV tomorrow, see what difference that makes. I'll have a go at adjusting the timing too...

No other symptoms, its great if you dont have to stop!

Andy.

Cleaned the ISV, problem seems to have gone away - fingers crossed!

The timing does need seeing to at some point, an excuse to go up to Stealth, me thinks!

Cheers for the pointers guys :wink:

Andy.