Sign in to follow this  
eatthis

high oil useage

im thinking the worst as the head was rebuild 12k ago its using loads of oil :(

the only time i see any smoke is on the over run ie engine braking down hill

another thing i noticed today was i left it idling for well over an hour and there was liquid in the exhaust it didnt feel like oil more like water but where could it come from??

any ideas apart from piston rings? ps its done 103k miles

water in the exhaust is normal, specially in cold weather. Not sure on the oil though, i would imagine rings if the heads been rebuilt but 103k isnt a lot on a VR. I'm guessing you have made sure there is no leaks?

i dont think theres any leaks the rocker gasket was fooked and leaking but thats been changed.

i bought the car with 62k on it with 5 prevuious owners and no history iv always looked after it but obviously no idea about previous owners

I am afraid I too would be fearing the worst. My 2.9 had done 102K when Vince took the head off to confirm what I had been suspecting. Like you, I had been using more oil than healthy and burning some on the overrun and when pulling onto roundabouts in 2nd, 3rd gear with low revs. There was evidence of pinking and some pitting, so needed a rebuild.

Point is, this is the worst case. It may be down to something else, but it seems that the head will have to come off to be sure. Also, you are putting extra strain on everything with FI, particularly given the mileage it has done.

Hope it turns out to be something else entirely, mate. You have my sympathies. :?

we did a little test earlier my mate nailed the throttle (when it was warm obviously)

3 things struck me 1 it pops flames hehe 2 it sounds even better from outside and 3 it gave a LITTLE puff of blue smoke when he came offf the throttle he reckons its pretty mild and not excessive so im gonna be looking for leaks

What oil are you using mate? have you checked plugs 1 and 6 for oil fouling?

Try a thicker oil, older VRs need it. 10/50W Silkolene got rid of all my smoking on over-run and massively reduced consumption.

Shell Helix and Castrol now also do a 10W/60 oil, which is even thicker at high temps and VRs run hot as we know ;-)

What oil are you using mate? have you checked plugs 1 and 6 for oil fouling?

Try a thicker oil, older VRs need it. 10/50W Silkolene got rid of all my smoking on over-run and massively reduced consumption.

Shell Helix and Castrol now also do a 10W/60 oil, which is even thicker at high temps and VRs run hot as we know ;-)

i think number 1 was a bit fouled but dont think it was horrific is 10/60 a bit too thick? where can i get them oils and i assume theyr both full synth?