Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

16v>G60 brakes + strut top caps - questions?

hey guys need a bit of help,

i`ve looked through the search and seen a lot of info but not telling me exactly what i need.

my car is 1991 1.8 16v with 256mm non abs front brakes on it, i`ve got a set of G60 280mm brakes (calipers, discs, pads, carriers and hubs) to go on, i`ve been to VW and ordered the seals for the pistons and sliders

the brakes are off a G60 golf conversion so i dont know the year

i wanna know what braided lines i need to order?

awesome list (i`ve got standard rear calipers at the moment, but they`re a bit weak-they`ll have a quick refurb while i`m doing brakes - any tips/idea`s? both are less than 3 yr old but are schitt)

Corrado Pre 90 Goodridge Braided Hoses BR-HO-GOOD-10106P £55

Corrado 90-92 Goodridge Braided Hoses BR-HO-GOOD-10206P £55

Corrado VR6 Pre 95 Goodridge Braided Hoses BR-HO-GOOD-6036P £54

Corrado VR6 95-> Goodridge Braided Hoses BR-HO-GOOD-6046P £54

are all the fittings the same?

is it just the length that varies?

do i need to change hubs or will the carriers from the G60 fit the 16v?

how much brake fluid do i need?

dot 5.1?

i`m sure i can change them my self, i just wanna have all the parts so my car isn`t off the road as i need it for work.

any other info i might need?

thanks

ben

You'll need the '90 to '92 hoses as these use the same screw fit connector that your g60 brakes use. You wont need the hubs, as the only difference is the carriers. You can still use your existing hoses (providing the calipers are srew fit) as for fluid i used Castrol Super 'something or other' i cant remember what dot it was or how much you need but i'll find out for you. It's easy to do - i've recently done the exact same on a 1991 16v makes a big difference.

just been reading my haynes and as long as the bolts arent too bad it sould be an ok job.

i`m also thinking about doing my lowering caps at the same time, i know i need some spring compressors, but how do i get the top nut (above the top mount off on koni struts?) i understand i have to hold the centre bit while i undo the nut but has anyone any tips?

swan neck spanner on the nut what to hold the centre bit??

thanks

also if you had to buy one torque wrench (i have mainly 3/8 and 1/4" sockets etc) what range would you need? 6-30nm... etc??

Not sure about Konis but for standard ones i use a 22mm socket that i ground flats on so i can hold it still with a spanner, then i use an allen key through the socket and hold the top of that with mole grips. Dunno if thats any good to you but it might give you a clue.

think the konis have a small 8-10mm hex on the top that you'll need to hold with a small ring spanner. No allen head as the adjustment thingy sits in that position.

few swan neck ring spanners will fit into the recess on the top though which is why people make up tools, or VW had a special tool...£££

well had a bit of a play today, got the g60 carriers of the old hubs, ordered new seals for the calipers, made sure the hose and bleed nipple are free.

suspension wise, the top nut is 21 or 22mm and the smaller hex is 9mm (god my memorys bad only checked this avo) anyway what do i need to remove them?

i take it i hold the small one on the strut and undo the large one with the tools i dont have!!??

i dont really wanna go out and buy a swan neck and grind it down to fit inside, id rather buy the proper bit>

would a deep socket and an impact driver get it off or is this a big no no?

any link to tools etc be mucho apprieciated as would any guide lines

cheers

You could use an air gun to undo them, if you don't have go to a garage and ask nicely if they'd losen them and then carefully drive back (done that before too!).

You could use an air gun to undo them, if you don't have go to a garage and ask nicely if they'd losen them and then carefully drive back (done that before too!).

i was thinking that but thought i`d get flamed for suggesting it :lol: how would i tighten them up again??

got a garage 1/2 mile from my house.... prob be easier to get them to fit the caps in the first place? no??

i used a 21mm swan neck ring spanner to take my koni top nut off ,worked fine mate

i did the top mounts on mine without removing the strut, i found i could jack it up and undo the top and lower the strut and spring out of the way , put the top mount and bearing in and bolted it up

are your mounts the same ? mine are fully adjustable so no allen key head at the centre which added to the fun :-)

cheers paul, my top plates are a bit steeper so i dont know if a swan neck will fit in, i`ll try though.

its lowering caps i want to fit, so i think i have to compress the springs anyways.

I got a draper 22mm swan neck spanner to do mine...trimmed it down with an angle grinder so that it fitted in the top mount cup, worked a treat. :)

TomD, cool thats what i`ll prob have to do, just have to check the size before i buy and butcher a spanner

i used a 21mm swan neck ring spanner to take my koni top nut off ,worked fine mate

you can use a spark plug type socket if you can't get hold of the proper tool, as long as you have a deep hex key socket or good quality allen key for the centre, the spark plug sockets often have a hex around the top which you can just hold still/turn with a spanner.

With the koni style tops, a thin 9mm socket and extension/screwdriver handle type thing for the socket can be used to go down inside the spark plug socket.

tool mods, thats what i like lol. the other option is an oxygen sensor socket, it has a side cut away to allow you to get hold of the alan or what ever depending on the strut.i got mine from that online tool shop, but the name escapes me. (Ill post if it comes back :))

You'll need the '90 to '92 hoses as these use the same screw fit connector that your g60 brakes use. You wont need the hubs, as the only difference is the carriers. You can still use your existing hoses (providing the calipers are srew fit) as for fluid i used Castrol Super 'something or other' i cant remember what dot it was or how much you need but i'll find out for you. It's easy to do - i've recently done the exact same on a 1991 16v makes a big difference.

Sorry to be back tracking in your thread, but is there any difference in the G60 and the Vr6 calipers? I assume they are the same units but the pipework is slightly different, hence the different kits.

I have a 16v which I am putting 280mm brakes onto, but they came from a VR6, and I thought I'd ask about the pipework now whilst people are still thinking about it. I was intending to buy braided brakelines for a G60.

i checked my G60 calipers and mine are screw fit connectors, i think the length might vary for ABS/non calipers but as for VR i`ve no idea