Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Radiator woes...

Had a mare tonight. My radiator elbow has a tiny hole in the top, so bought a new one. Went to replace it tonight (10 min job methinks :roll: ) and the bolts wouldn't undo, they just kept going round and round.

To top it off the part of the radiator where the bolt nearest the engine bay is connected to, split as I was trying to undo the bolt. So, now it's leaking quite badly.

As this plastic is an integral part of the rad, I'm guessing I will need a new rad.

Any suggestions? Any rad-changing experts near me? Won't be able to drive the car when it's leaking like this :(

Mines leaking aswell. got it booked into my local garage. been told its a four hour job to replace the rad....all the slam panel has to come off :(

new rad cost me £107 then theres the fitting ontop

Mines leaking aswell. got it booked into my local garage. been told its a four hour job to replace the rad....all the slam panel has to come off :(

new rad cost me £107, then theres the fitting cost on top.

its being changed this friday, i'll let you know how it goes

Piece of piss to do yourself whole front end has to come off bumper and slam panel headlights etc then its just a straight out job!

penfoldvr6, where did you get your rad from? Is it copper? Want to avoid copper if poss.

whole front end has to come off bumper and slam panel headlights etc then its just a straight out job!

This is what scares me! Are the bumper and slam panel easy to remove? Am I gonna encounter lots of seized bolts etc?

yeah i did had to drill a few out but its better than paying labour prices these days!

Im not the most mechanical minded but i managed it eventually!

My rad was £122 from vw with my mates trade price discount taken off! Get a vw one and you cant go wrong really!

I did mine, while I was there I replaced thermostat/temp senders/thermostat housing/water pipe and installed a oil cooler. Do it all at once to save time/agro later. Its a good excuse!

The worst bit was a seized bolt on the bumpers, but its pretty straight forward.

I got my rad from ECP. I knwo VW are best but mine appeared to be a VW on (had the seriel number ground off which iI believe they do if its a vw part but not from vw). It was not a copper one. It cost me about £90 with a mates mechanic discount.

Any questions just ask.

I would say get a good breaker bar!

Hmmm, you've all persuaded me- think I'll give it a go :)

Don't have the cash to change all those other bits- good idea though. It had a new stat, housing, senders etc in 2004, so would think they should last a while longer ;)

So I just get the car up on stands and go from there? Is it all pretty clear once under the car?

Cheers!

Yeh, noticed that earlier. Good price, but not sure if it's copper (as the cheaper ones usually are). He's also got 0 feedback. Think it may be worth spending a little more for peace of mind and the guarantee.

Did you take the bumper etc off? Found an old thread on here where someone managed it without doing that. Just removed the fans, cowling, battery etc.

had mine replaced when first got c took to deutch mark in doncaster the guy replaced mine without taking front of the car apart not had any problems top guy very helpfull rung him many a time for advise when got stuck on jobs number is 01302 368 988 got me thinking now did he or didn,t he sure he would of said

Jon_VR6

When you say you drill out seized bolts, how do you mean. How is that done?

You say you are not the most mechanically minded - you are being modest!

Regards

Iain

craigowl, with you there- would also like to know this!

Have just ordered new rad + all bolts etc for bumper and slam panel. After discount it comes in at around £170 (inc VAT).

I meant screws sorry so are rounded off phillips type screws and they wouldnt budge so drilled them out! Apart from that very easy to do but wouldnt want to do it again in a long time!

Jon_vr6

Just for my future needs, perhaps and for CazzaVR more immediately, I suspect, when drilling out seizedscrews and bolts, do you use a power drill with bit hard enough for metal or are you talking about something else (is it drive bits?)?

Jon_vr6

Just for my future needs, perhaps and for CazzaVR more immediately, I suspect, when drilling out seizedscrews and bolts, do you use a power drill with bit hard enough for metal or are you talking about something else (is it drive bits?)?

Get a metal drill bit and drill through the bolt (the drilll bit should be smaller than the screw)

Soaking the bolts in wd40 or plus gas a few days before will also help and just take your time. One of the screws snapped but I just replaced it. Annoying but not the end of the day. The smaller screws normally go more than the big ones. Try tightening them up a BIT then going to lose them, that can help. AS well as thumping them with a hammer or heating the screw up.

I just finished doing my rad and know Im taking the dash apart to do the heater matrix. I wouldnt mind but I only just got the car and I havent really had a good chance to drive it yet!