Sign in to follow this  
JoeNose

Question for suspension gurus...

I've recently had new OEM rear axle bushes fitted - and the car handling actually seems to have deteriorated somewhat.

It's only noticable on the limit, during a rapid direction change. I am used not to having to slow down at roundabouts for example, just flick the car left-right-left with constant throttle. Good fun, and usually possible to feel the passive rear wheel steering working behind you.

Now, the car seems sloppier than usual, with the rear end just not coping with the direction change as it used to. Other than checking geometry, what else is there for me to examine? I wouldn't have thought it possible to fit an axle bush incorrectly, so what else could have gone wrong?

I agree. The first thing I would check is that the rear bearings are nipped up just snug. If they aren't the car will feel like the front and rear wheels aren't connected to the same car.

It's also a common oversight for garages to make. Hell I even had to tighten some rear bearings fitted at Dia.... no - I won't name them.

I wouldn't have thought it possible to fit an axle bush incorrectly, so what else could have gone wrong?

It's very easy to fit them incorrectly, both in terms of rotational angle and also how far they are pressed in.