Sign in to follow this  
1966robbo

ABS Relay

I have a 1994 2.016 valve Corrado. Can anyone tell me where the ABS relay is please? Everything and everyone seems to think that there should be 2 relays above the relay plate.....my car only has one! Where is the other one?

They are behind the heater duct on a bracket on the passenger’s side, a pair of them on a plastic carrier, but they rarely fail and most Corrado ABS problems are due to water in the ABS ECU.

Thanks Crasher. Found them earlier today....practically gutted the car after a call to VW. Anyway....my next problem. I have replaced one of the relays anyway, but after plugging in my diagnostic unit, it comes up with the respones "main ABS valve-N105!....does this make any sense toi anyone?

Ever since I have had the car, the ABS light has been on and I am unable to reset it. Initially when I plugged my fault reader in to the diagnostioc socket, I had several faults registered. Having replaced both ABS relays, cleaned all the wheel speed sensors/ABS brake sensors, it is registering N105 main valve not working. I have changed the ABS pump and still have the same code. I am being told that this is an ECU fault!!! So looking for a cheap one to eliminate it from my list/hopefully solve the problem!

my light is intermittent when i hear a clicking from the passenger footwell the light goes out, no click it stays on ?

There are some relays located behind the passenger side glove box....or at least they were in mine. They are tucked up right behind it along with some fuses. This may be the clicking you can hear. There is also an ABS ECU mounted on LHS of the passenger footwell...not sure if this clicks.

Success! Managed to sort out my ABS....at long last. Two leaning points for those out there with problems - firstly, I used a code reader to check the ABS system and it registered a faulty pump, which unfortunately was a misdiagnosis....lesson here is that you need a VAG code reader. Secondly,not sure if anyone has mentioned this on the forum, but you can test the ABS sensors by placing a multimeter across the sensor contacts and check that you have have a resistance. Fortunately, my problem was a faulty wheel sensor.

Success! Managed to sort out my ABS.... Fortunately, my problem was a faulty wheel sensor.

Hi

Well done.

How did you replace the wheel sensor

The wheel sensor is located by an allen bolt on the back of the hub. Not a problem removing the bolt....for a change, but the sensor itself is a very tight push fit in to the casting. To be honest, i knew mine was not much cop, so used a bit of force to remove it. Of course needless to say, from lessons learnt in the past, I used lots of copper grease when I replaced the new one!

my light is intermittent when i hear a clicking from the passenger footwell the light goes out, no click it stays on ?

My ABS had a similar symptom. When starting the car one of the realys would click on and off rapidly, increasing in frequency until it gave in. The ABS light flickering accordingly. After a few months it stopped the clicking on starts and the ABS light just came on silently.

I had the car at a VAG service center twice, but they could not fix it on either occasion. They just kept on replacing ABS sensors and suggesting that I change _every_ ABS component in the car (!)...

IMO the symptoms suggested a bad relay, a short or a bad connection, and replacing the ABS relays in the fuse box did the trick for me. A guy at my regular garage told me that there is also sometimes a problem with bad contacts the fusebox itself, causing problems like these.

Now I only need to install a switch to disable the ABS; I like the brakes more without it, at least in the dry :wink:

DJ

--

Any idea how much a new ABS relay is and are there two relays in total?

How do you know which one is faulty?

I have just started getting the intermittent light problem on the ABS light and wondered if it was the sensor or the relay. Same with me - sometimes I get a reassuring click and the light goes out, otherwise the light stays on.

Interestingly, the light tends to go out when the car has been restarted once warm!

I can add that that when I took my car on the first few drives the ABS would work when the car was cold, before it resorted to never coming on properly again. AFAIK there are two ABS related relays in the fusebox. My Bentley manual has been stolen, so I can't look it up, but I'm sure some other members wil chime in and identify the correct relays. The relays don't cost much, it's well worth a try. Of course, one could always borrow some from a mates Corrado and see if it helps.

DJ

--

Does anyone have the part no's needed for a '94 VR6:

ABS relays

ABS sensors

Also prices would be brill, I can't load my Etka and my VW is useless with parts unless I spoonfeed them the info.... :?