Sign in to follow this  
Rocket Ron

Leaking Fuel

I was looking under the bonnet like you do the other morning(cold) and to my horror I could smell fuel. It was seaping from what seems to be the pipes connected to the fuel rail at the front of the VR's engine left hand side. The engine was cold as well but when it started to get warm it seemed to stop.

I'm new to the VR SORRY FOR BEING NOT VERY TECHNICAL have no information on it yet looking to get the manual soon.

I had this same problem when I had a mk 3 gti it seems that the rubber pipe perishes and the only thing to do is replace the pipe with new.

Anyone come across this before advise would be very useful and where do you get pipe or pipes from.

Yes it is very common, fit two new pipes from VW as they are pre-formed.

Feed:-021 133 990K

Return:-021 133 988K

Clips x 4:-N 102 922 01

although the pipes are an utterly ludicrous £35.90 each inc. VAT which I just can’t see how they justify.

I had the same problem on my last VR.

VW wanted £70 for replacement hoses. Sod that. Since it was only the ends of the hoses that had perished, I decided to just cut 1cm off the end of each hose and re-attach them with new clips from 'alfords. I went on to do another 50,000 miles in that car with no problems whatsoever.

Even though its expansive, I recommed getting the factory lines. They are updated too. As mentioned earlier...they are formed lines. Generic fuel lines are just straight tubes and are likely to kink in the engine bay.

Think if it this way...you won't have to worry about them for another 10+ years.

If I was to get the parts myself is it a DIY job or do you think it needs to be done by a garage how difficult is it whats involved do you have to depressurise the fuel system any info useful.

If I was to get the parts myself is it a DIY job or do you think it needs to be done by a garage how difficult is it whats involved do you have to depressurise the fuel system any info useful.