Sign in to follow this  
Riclad

You Gotta Get You Some Of These!

Hey Guys,

I dont know if many of you have tried it, but i have just fitted some gas discharged lights to my rado! OH . . . MY. . . . GOD! They are ace! It is like driving a brand new car, vision is pefrect, you can see things you havent noticed before! I paid £100 for them and were fitted in 40 minutes. Trust me, they are a must!

Cheers guys,

I had them from a mate off a mate. Mine were 2nd hand but you can get them from ebay for about £80. They are really worth it!

i fitted a HID kit to my 993........has to be one of the best mods EVER.........it even makes full beam redundant

where from and what kit did you use for the C?

Pants, i threw the box away, i'll find out guys!

If any one is a little worried about fitting them, the guy who fitted them to mine is happy to help. (i'm not the best with electrics)

Very nice, it must be great to be able to see at night. I've got an uprated loom but still think that a pair of maglites would be better. Will have to invest in some of those, though obviously not at 250 quid! Ees redeeculos.

they look ace.... £100 sounds like a bargain to me.... good on you. :)

i dont know anything about these xenon kits, but i searched the bay nad found these bosch ones... and they're 100 squid...

clicky xenon

Just bought a set of Bosch Xenon 6000k HID's for fitting to my C's angel-eyes, all for £100 delivered off eBay. Total bargain, and they will be such a great upgrade for the cash. Well worth it. Gitted a set to my mates 156 Alfa and there was a massive improvement.

Just bought a set of Bosch Xenon 6000k HID's for fitting to my C's angel-eyes, all for £100 delivered off eBay. Total bargain, and they will be such a great upgrade for the cash. Well worth it. Gitted a set to my mates 156 Alfa and there was a massive improvement.

Wow £100 deliverd that is great. reckon they will be superb with those clear lens's on the A eye's. Will ya have to fit a water spray to the bumper for an MOT pass. I have been told its ilegal to have clear glass n no wash system. Guess its cos the clarity is dependant on the lens being clear?

Get lots of shots of em going in :)

Word of warning, take a look at this.

Fitting HIDs in standard halogen reflectors is problematic. You can get a lot of glare and a very uneven beam pattern. I had a hids4u.co.uk set fitted to my 'rado and the results were pretty awful, lots of light but in the wrong place.

It's alll about the optics of the headlight and the exact position of the light source. Halogen reflectors and projectors are designed to work with halogen bulbs, the light source in an HID bulb is a larger area and may be in a different place, plus there's more light in the first place.

You may get acceptable results, you may not, but it depends on the headlight, the kit and how they interact. With an H4 conversion you need some sort of shield on the bulb or you'll get massive glare - google Casper Shield if you want to see what I mean - the hids4u kit comes with shields but doesn't seem to work well with the corrado lights, possibly because the end shield is much larger than an original H4 bulb and basically blocks the hole in the centre of the shield thing inside the reflector completely.

Halogen projectors, as fitted to angel eyes, are better but still not as good as a dedicated HID projector which is designed to work properly with HID bulbs.

I think it's all complex enough to mean that just because a certain kit doesn't work well on the Corrado that another different kit won't give better results btw. I'd be very wary of glare and the two pics at the top, viewed at full size, do look glarey to me, but photos can be misleading. What I'm saying is that a kit might work well with a headlight on one car and not give good results on a different car with a different headlight design.

I'm going to retrofit proper HID projectors - the type used in the BMW E46 to my stock reflectors - initially with the stock lens then, if necessary, some sort of fabricated clear or part clear lens. I'm not saying that kits won't work, but be aware that it's not necessarily an open and shut case and, if the video linked to above is right, they may be considered illegal.

Hope that makes some sense. If you've been in a car equipped with HIDs as stock, you'll know that they're amazing, but also that there's a really distinct cut off line between light and dark thanks to the projector design.

Sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but it's a bit of what I learned when I was trying to work out why the HID kit I fitted was so disappointing :?

Only thing you have to be careful of with the HID kits is MOT time cos i have heard there is something about no beam pattern when running them in standard lenses but with angel eyes they are ok cos of the projecter?!

Can anyone shed some light on this before i go and buy a set as my mate has em on his lupo and people are flashing him all the time?!?!

Have a look at the video at autoexpress.com. It implies, pretty clearly, that if the beam pattern gives glare then it won't pass. If your mate is being flashed 'all the time' his headlights are either producing loads of glare or they're badly adjusted. If they gave proper, well-adjusted beams, he wouldn't be being flashed, er, would he?

Halogen projectors are much more likely to give a decent cut-off and beam pattern than halogen reflectors, as used in the standard Corrado headlight, though still won't be quite as good as proper HID projectors because they're designed for use with a halogen bulb not an HID one. So yeah, you're much more likely to get a decent beam with angel eyes. You could always get an HID projector which is the same dimensions as the original halogen one in the In Pros then swap them over so you have an HID projector instead.

Kit results seem to vary and MOT testers can be quite random, but that's pretty much how I understand it.