Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

288mm brake questions

Am on the verge of purchasing the bits needed for the conversion for the 288s on my VR. I have read alot of useful info on here but still have the following questions:

What hoses do i need to get, anyone have part numbers, expected prices and best places to buy from??

Anyone have any recommendations for discs and pads to use in the set up, am i best off going VAG??

What sort of price should i look to sell on the bits i will be taking off once the conversion is done??

Thanks in advance for any clues..

If you have bought Passat 288mm brakes, then your existing hoses will fit, if you have bought golf 288mm brakes you will need a conversion hose kit, which I believe Tekara has one of to sell.

I just bought a set of 280mm brakes, including calipers, carriers, all bolts and used disks/pads from him for £80, a price which I was quite happy with, I think that is about the going rate.

Did someone mention my name :lol:

As Toad said, hoses depend on the calipers you've got. If youve got Golf calipers ive got an unused set of hoses. Thanks Tom

Id recommend sticking with VAG parts, get the discs from the late MK3, part numbers i used were 3A0 615 301 A.

Pads i cant really help with, other than to advice you steer away from Mintex Extreme. Great bite, but squeal and squeak incessantly.

Price for your old parts depends on age and wear, say £40 - £100 to the right person.

Ive just put a post up in your add Tekara.

Ill confirm with supercharged that they are the Golf ones and if so i will take them off your hands.

Where abouts in Hampshire are you as it may be easy for me to collect them??

Mintex Extreme. Great bite, but squeal and squeak incessanty

I've got that problem at the moment after reluctantly buying from GSF when they said they couldn't get Pagid FR's anymore... I had the same problem with Mintex on a Golf too - never buying anything Mintex again, utter sh1te! I've taken the pads off, sanded and re-greased, re-bedded in and they're sqeeking again already...

The hoses Tekara has are the ones you need assuming they are banjo connection?

Right guys, ill buy the bits from both of you then please..

Supercharged, can you give me the total delivered price please..

Tekara, can i arrange to meet up with you at some point over the weekend to collect the hoses.

Ta very much....

What are you doing with your Extreme's Ross?? I'm thinking of taking mine back and fitting either standard Pagid or VAG...

Not sure at the moment Steve, was hoping to get a hold of some slightly used Pagid FR's, but that's only prolonging the inevitable. Nick seems to swear by EBC so i thought i might try a set of those before switching to VAG. Im still very much inclined to send these back to Mintex when i get the time, accompanied by a choicely worded letter of disappointment.

Did you have a close look at your pads when they were off? I found mine had rubbing badly on the wings were it meets the carrier. I filed that down a little, seemed to tame things slightly, but by no means eliminated.

PM on route Goldie

Yeah Nick likes his EBC's and Kev's got some too (but obviously better ones than Nick just to see if he copies him and upgrades :lol:)

Mine weren't particuarly shiney like the Golf ones were but they are full of metal and the new VAG discs are half worn at 5k miles - a tad agressive I think!!!!!!

The ones on my Golf were standard Mintex with matching discs, I had no end of problems with the squeeking and going shiney, took them off 3 or 4 times and sanded then rebedded in and eventually stuck some Pagids in and they were fine so I've used Pagid ever since - I sent the Mintex back to the shop who sent to the factory and they concluded the compound was wrong and refunded me but for the amount of hastle i had...

I thought I'd try them as GSF recommended them and did them at a good price and I thought at least Mintex had attmitted the mistake the first time round so gave them a go... never again tho!

From what I understand, the EBCs are the new pagid fast roads. EBC and Pagid are owned by the same company, who decided to stop selling competing products, and used the superior pagid compound, for the EBC green stuffs. I think, anyway.