Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

the difference between H&R's???

just looking for some new coilovers for the vr6, as i seem to have killed the old ones.....

Tempted by H&R's...slightly confused by the option of:

for cars with basic suspension

for cars with plus suspension.

what does it all mean?!

I'm pretty sure that the 'Plus Suspension' was one of the differences between the G60 to and the VR6. Supposedly wider and slightly softer sprung, I think that's one of the reasons the VR6 has wider arches. If not, then I'm stumped, though I'm sure someone'll know.

I think i remember Kev saying once that the basic is what used to be the 'comfort' ones and the plus is a lot harder. Might be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure that the 'Plus Suspension' was one of the differences between the G60 to and the VR6. Supposedly wider and slightly softer sprung, I think that's one of the reasons the VR6 has wider arches. If not, then I'm stumped, though I'm sure someone'll know.

Not sure what H&R are refering too with the use of 'plus' and 'basic'

However in Corrado terms the following applies:

'Basic' refers to 16v(all) and G60 wishbone, ARB, ARB link design, bottom ball joint and track rods, these are the only parts aside from the subframe and driveshafts that are not interchangable with a VR.

The 'plus' is exclusive to the VR and the wishbones, unlike the 16v/G60s are handed, i.e. left one and a right one.

As for top mounts the late 2.0l 16v cars had the same top mounts as the VR6 as well as the same dampers and springs. The difference in ride came about due to the introduction in mid '93, on all cars, of a different design of spring cap (92mm instead of 105mm in diameter) and the introduction of 'lateral force compensating springs'.

Basically plus came about because they needed a slighlty wider car to fit the VR6 into the engine bay. As such the outer wing, not structural and again fitted to all types of Corrado post facelift, was made wider, the VR has its own wishbones etc. It is only the front that is wider though, the back of the cars remain the same as 1432mm rear track.

The other thing to be aware of is that whilst the VR came with 205 width tyres as standard you had to specify 205 width tyres for the 16v/G60s. The reason is that a slight redesign of the track rod is required to ensure correct operation with the wider tyres.

The camper angle on the VR is different due to increased track, hence the reason that the 16v/G60s feel a lot more nimble than the VR on turn in etc.