Sign in to follow this  
blue95

KR Inlet Cam - Change Sprocket???

I am finely going to get round to changing my inlet cam. My engine is a 9a and I have the inlet cam of a KR.

Do I need to swap the sprocket on the KR inlet cam with the sprocket of my 9a inlet? or can I just bang it straight in as is???

Seems a dumb question, but I sure I read you need to but cannot find any threads to back this up or not.

Thanks

I am finely going to get round to changing my inlet cam. My engine is a 9a and I have the inlet cam of a KR.

Do I need to swap the sprocket on the KR inlet cam with the sprocket of my 9a inlet? or can I just bang it straight in as is???

Seems a dumb question, but I sure I read you need to but cannot find any threads to back this up or not.

Thanks

straight in mate, although the teeth may look slightly different, later ones were changed to make them run slightly quieter IIRC, don't know any reason why you can't mix an old exhaust cam with a newer inlet though.

Cheers David,

Do I need to take the cambelt off to do this mod?

nope, the belt's connected to the ex cam, just make sure you undo/do up the cam caps in order and don't mix them up or turn them around.

I'd also replace the cam chain while you're at it, quite cheap and has to come off anyway, if you re-use the cam cover gasket it will leak, if it's not already doing so - rubbish design, I've been told the best way to ensure a good seal is totally clean and free of oil surfaces and then just nip up the bolts, possibly with a bit of threadlock, if you over tighten them the gasket just squeezes out... and leaks.

Thanks again!

Will my engine need setting up to make the most of the cams? Take it this will mean a trip to somewhere like stealth?

Thinking about it I'm sure flusted is right, the cams are lifted out together, TBH it's a while since I stripped the head down and I've only ever done the cams with the head off the engine on a bench.

I'm surprised I can remember any of it at the moment, I've got flu from hell and a lovely chest infection from it :(

OK thanks - if thats the case I might just get a modded head while I am at it and bung that on :lol:

Your flu sounds particularly nasty. Must be a new bug doing the rounds, my bro has a similar bug, plus he suffers astma(spelling), and may have to go into hospital if it gets worse.

Well hope your feeling better soon mate.

Remember to align the cams off the head,sometimes the cam's marks SEEM to align up but when you tighten the caps down they move out of sinc.

Watch out that you don't dislodge the half moon rubber end seals while working,i've done it a few times..,

Check and see if the exhaust cam's oil seal is ok and get it positioned correctly within the cap and cyl.head.

Be extra carefull when tightening down the camshaft bearing caps,the manual says 12lbs torque but i've yet to find a torque wrench capable of going that low and BEFORE re-fitting the cams check that the cam cap retaining studs in the head aren't loose,they will pull up while your re-assembling,quite annoying..

Check that the camshaft's timing gearwheel is not put on back to front,it will go on no problem but you'll go batshiyt trying to find out why the timing belt sticks out 2mm or so in relation to the oil pump's drive cog,crank cog etc.

Check that the stupid little half moon hasn't snapped within the camshaft sprocket,no idea why but i've come across it a few times.

Now stop reading this long post and go and get something done. :)

LOL :lol:

In theory should be straight forward - As I have both inlet and zorst cams from the KR with all sprockets etc allready attached.