Sign in to follow this  
RichieSounds

Removing Koni Top Adjustable shocks

I'm trying to remove the Koni shocks from my corrado. And it's not having it.. Can someone help please?

The small hex bolt head on the top of the shock has worn, meaning I can't stop the shock rod from rotating as I try to loosen the large bolt... I can't get a grip on it with a socket, but maybe could with a vice. Would it be better to vice grip the piston rod at the top of the spring to hold it in place, and try to loosen the bolt above the top mount that way?

i have access to a compressed air impact driver so could try that. So forget about trying to prevent the rod from rotating, turn the torque up high and blast it?

Well I'm going to hold the rod near the top with some rubber and vice grips and use the impact driver on it.

No - it's sensible given that the shocks rotate as the steering is turned. Yes there is a bearing in the top mount (or just below on later model cars) but you don't want it binding and causing the steering to jam...

Yeah sorry Mike I should have phrased that better - I meant the design flaw was undoing them is difficult with hand tools where the mk2 has the castelated nuts and the mk3 has the hollow drive / allen key arrangement