Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

16v has tappets?

1. Just wanted confirmation that the 1994 2.0 16v uses Hydraulic Tappets on the valves???

2. And can anyone confirm how easy a job this is? (looked in wiki with no luck)

3. And typical cost of tappets?

4. Thinking of doing a job lot too; cam belt, timing chain. Anything else worth doing?

Thanks,

Stu

Stick a KR cam in there while you're at it!

Tappets are normally 3-4 quid each so it ain't a cheap job.

Done this myself and isn't too difficult to do, just gotta make sure you but the brackets that hold the cams in place back in the same place!

yup, the valver DOES have tappets... 16 of the feckers...

It's not too difficult to change 'em (cambelt off, inlet manifold off, cam cover off, cams out, swap 'em over and put it back together again...) and it's worth changing the cam chain while you're in there...

Costs? are you sitting comfortably? £6.50 each from GSF... yup £104 for the set... :|

!! good job ive only got a G60 then.....oh Sh*t!! i told em to build a 16vG60, better phone em up again!! lol. £104 isnt too bad really tho is it? after all you are getting 16 metal cylinders AND loosing that annoying sound!

As they are hydraulic, I guess there is no need to worry about clearances or a need for replacing valves.

£100 roughly, ok, a bit more than predicted but still ok. And I understand that chain is about £10.

8)

Hmmmm; then Im planning on uprating the front discs too - the current ones are knackered. Maybe worth doing the caliper too???

Having problems finding people threads on the specific issue in hand on brakes for a 16v and potential upgrades (for a reasonable price - whtout going brembo calipers or whatever is possible)

Hmmmm; then Im planning on uprating the front discs too - the current ones are knackered. Maybe worth doing the caliper too???

Having problems finding people threads on the specific issue in hand on brakes for a 16v and potential upgrades (for a reasonable price - whtout going brembo calipers or whatever is possible)

G60 discs and pads is a good upgrade and relatively cheap too, just need to find some G60 calipers (normally around £80 2nd hand)

If it helps, i've got a drivers side G60 caliper carrier you can have for nowt Stuart. They're the expensive bit! :)

hmmmm, one side at a time; could be interesting Jim... :p

Hows the C - not seen yu about?

.IS THIS RIGHT?

The G60 Upgrade can be done by:::

...callipers and carriers from a MK3 Golf GTI (checked the disc diamater was 280mm), and new Corrado G60 discs and pads. This way there is no modification required, no filing or alteration to anything.

Hi Stuart - doin ok mate! Been around - guess I just haven't seen ya!

As far as I know what you've said you need is all you need. Source carriers cheap elsewhere but brand new G60 callipers from VAG are cheap... hence my offer of the free carrier!

can you put that carrier to one side for me while i look for the offside?

ps - does it need to be G60, or can it be Golf Mk3 Gti too?

(and hows about Mk4? .... as seen on ebay.)