Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Time for a new head (VR6)

I wish to purchase a reconditioned vr6 head from a top source. One where you could guarantee the workmanship, trust that all internals are brand spankers and it looks like a piece of shiney art too.

Also would a big valve head be a good idea?

All ive seen so far is Grant Motor Sport.

Any experienced/educated advice welcomed. Cheers

If you replace all the valves, be prepared for a big bill!

You only need to replace those if they're A) burned out, or B) valve stem thickness is out of spec. i.e. worn out.

Big valve heads usually work well with cams and a VGI, but on their own they won't liberate that much of an increase.

It is worth considering an exchage head from VAG. I paid about £750 plus VAT about 3 years ago, no idea what it is now, but that was for a complete head, valves, springs, cams, tappets etc, all with a 24 month warranty.

Best wishes

RB

Heads from VW are currently £1100+VAT exchange - complete.

Grant are OK from what I hear, no experience of them personally though.

Fook*ng 1100 quid!!! Major expense. Grants were around the 700-800 quid mark i last looked. Decisions decisions.

It would be nice to hear from someone with a Grant head on running.

Is the golf VR6 head the same as the corrado if you remove the cams?

Say i hand a golf head over to a company to do the works on it and have big valves - will the finished article be what i would get if i handed over a corrado head?

I have a Grant Motorsport big valve head, very good for the price.

I think the heads are the same apart from oil returns etc.... Grant will supply you a head thats correct for your motor anyway.

The gains are not massive for the costs involved. you would be better off buying a charger for power gains. Also Grant uses Piper cams in his heads so if you wanted shcrick you would have to arrange this and pay the extra....

I have a Grant Motorsport big valve head, very good for the price.

I think the heads are the same apart from oil returns etc.... Grant will supply you a head thats correct for your motor anyway.

The gains are not massive for the costs involved. you would be better off buying a charger for power gains. Also Grant uses Piper cams in his heads so if you wanted shcrick you would have to arrange this and pay the extra....

Nice one jammin.

Once whatever heads on. Thats it. I don't plan to remove it when the chains etc are changed along side. I just want to make the best decision before going ahead with the major surgery.

Cheers for the input guys

Martin