Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

engine mods??

what can i do to my 1.8 16v in order to free up a few horses?? im gona get a scorpion or magnex exhaust soon(if i was getting one now i would of went in for the milltek group buy) i wanted to put a k and n induction kit on as well but was told you cant get them for the 16v only the vr6??

:?: also which exhaust would you guys go for?? scorpion,milltech or magnex?

thanks a lot!!!

you can induction kits from eurotek for the 16v kr engine,made by strove motorsport,not cheap though,think they are about 120 notes :shock:

nothing measurable, just makes things louder, I'd just put a panel filter in and remove the 'snorkel' tube, if you want to drill the bottom half of the air box you can, but it will generally suck in warmer air than it would if connected to the back of the headlight as standard (warm air, less dense, less power), plus you loose the warm air pickup from the manifold on very cold days and warm-up.

IMO exhausts and induction kits make very little difference if any, other than cosmetic, it's possible an old system could have a loose baffle resricting flow, but it is unlikely that any aftermarket system will be any better than a new OEM one. In the end it all comes down to the sound and cosmetics of the aftermarket stuff.

Best performance improvements for a 16v are:

1) good quality headwork IRO 10-20bhp

2) capacity increase IRO 5-10bhp (plus better torque)

to do better than this you are looking at blueprinting and mega-money

Slick 50 championship golf 16v's used to make about 200bhp, but cost thousands of pounds to prepare and revved to over 8000rpm to achieve this.

David.

are they worth it??? what power gains could i expect to get?