Sign in to follow this  
chuck

MOT work

Hello,

I have a few bots and pieces to do for the MOT. Gonna do all the work myself tho, and I have a few questions.

1/ Clutch slave cylinder - hows this come out? One bolt comes out, but the fwd one hits the gear selector mechanism half way.

2/Any tricks I should know about on the clutch master cylinder removal and refitting??

3/whats the procedure for bleeding the corrado brakes - I believe its different from golf II.

4/ How to disconnect the uv joint from both the steering rack and the steering column. I need to fit a new rubber knuckle from rack to bulkhead.(subframe needs lowered I think)

I am doing this work this weekend, (despite cold and dark :? ), so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Anybody?

I have to do all this tomorrow, and so far I have 1 bolt off the slave cylinder with the other one stuck!?

1/ Clutch slave cylinder - hows this come out? One bolt comes out, but the fwd one hits the gear selector mechanism half way.

2/Any tricks I should know about on the clutch master cylinder removal and refitting??

I have attached diagrams......sort of useful!

3/whats the procedure for bleeding the corrado brakes - I believe its different from golf II.

I hope not.......i'm waiting for flexi's before i bleed.......from replacing most components in brake system except ABS unit, i dont think the bleeding will be different......but then, i aint done it yet!!

4/ How to disconnect the uv joint from both the steering rack and the steering column. I need to fit a new rubber knuckle from rack to bulkhead.(subframe needs lowered I think)

Inside the car, above the pedals close to where the steering column goes through the floor is the uv joint. you might have to unbolt the rack from the subframe to get the new boot on.

Hiya Chuck!

If I am right (in this drunken state that I'm in), and the slave cylinder is the one on the gearbox, the bolts should just pull out when undone... I think that you may have to play around with the gear linkage and select a gear so that the slectors are as far away as possible from the cylinder, but it does come out... Trust me, I had to do this earlier this week when removing my engine! :? :D It may take a little bit of wiggling, but it does come out pretty easily...

AFAIK brake bleeding is the same on a C as it is on a golf... I can't see any reason why it would be different, and I've never done it any differently on my G60 when I replaced all 4 calipers and put braded hoses on to replace the rubber flexies... 8)

Can't help with the other points though, sorry!

Good luck!

Hey Henny, How's that motor coming along?

Well, that was easier than I thought. Clutch master & slave replaced and whole system bled with nice new fluid - some real dirty muck came out.

just the rubber gaitor to do now and it'll breeze the MOT.

BTW, "cold and dark" has turned into "cold dark and wet" :(

BTW, "cold and dark" has turned into "cold dark and wet"

Thats what we all love about our c's - when has anyone every done a big job on a nice day? No no I'll wait for the snow.

Glad that you managed to get it done, Chuck 8)

It's amazing how many people don't bleed the clutch system through even though it gets more use than the brake's hydraulic system! :shock: Bet that the clutch feels 1000000% better now! :D

My engine is currently sat on a pallet in my garage waiting for me to send it to John (16VG60) to get it seen to... It was supposed to go late this week, but the courier was being a bit odd about coming to my house to collect it instead of my work address... I'll take it to work tomorrow and get 'em to take it from there... :roll:

Should only be a few more weeks until the engine's back in the car... Then I've got to sort the front mount intercooler, brembo brakes and all sorts of other odds and sods before she can hit the road again... Could be after Xmas at this rate... :? It'll be well worth it though! 8) :lol: