Sign in to follow this  
dan

Satin Silver C - Colour Coded Roof Strips

This post is almost 7yrs out of date now & there's been a few changes since, scroll down to see the 2010 version

I've posted a few pics of my C in the past for different threads but now here is the finished article :D

The car was first registered on May 12th (my Birthday :) ), in 1994 It has 88,754 miles on it today. I bought it in April '01, for £8,750 with 77,000 miles on it.

The first thing I did when I got the car was to find a good VW garage & got them to check & repair any problems with the car professionally. I've since kept up the full VW service history with them. I'm lucky, cos my VW garage is very reasonable with parts & labour etc. They are also genuinely interested in the Corrado as a car. So, I guess they're not all bad.

So the general idea/theme I had for the car was to keep it mechanically sound with a few minor cosmetic changes. The second thing I bought for the car was the number plate 'L30 VRG'. I tried to get 'L29 VRG' but it wasn't available :( . It cost £250 from the DVLA, to get it assigned to my car etc.

Then I colour coded a few little pieces myself including the front eyebrow, the back Number plate surround, cam cover & the interior door-pull surrounds. All properly prepared with plastic primer & finished in Satin Silver :D

The rest of the cars spec is like this,

• Koni coilovers (fully adjustable)[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Powerflex rear bushes[/*:m:f1b93]
  • 16 x 8" RS4 Alloy wheels[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Jetex panel filter
    [/*:m:f1b93]
  • Sony 10 disk boot changer[/*:m:f1b93]
  • 6 x 9" 3-way 315Watt speakers (fitted to a spare parcel shelf)
  • TT pedals (inc dead pedal)[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Anodised alloy aerial[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Sports steering wheel[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Polished manifold & oil cooler[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Removed the OE bump strips, made & fitted my own
  • Ruby Red Rear light clusters[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Clear side repeaters[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Colour coded eyebrow
  • Up rated headlight loom[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Angel Eyes headlights[/*:m:f1b93]
  • Total closure 'Cobra' alarm[/*:m:f1b93]
  • S5-R Laser / Radar detector (hard-wired)[/*:m:f1b93]

Next things on the list is a powerflex front bush kit & some Lupo wipers

[*]Groved & drilled Brake disks all round

[*]Colour Coded Door Handles

[*]RHZW1's 17 x 8" (et60) with 25mm adapters up front & 30mm OE adapters on the back

[*]New tyres 17" x 205 x 45mm

[*]New Door Striker Pins

[*]Colour Coded Roof Strips

[*]In.Pro Fog Lights & Indicators

Most of these pics were taken at evening time...

fantastic machine there mate!! looks very well looked after..keep it up!

a few questions:

where and how much did you get the full set of TT pedals and TT foot rest?

those speaker pods in the doors...they look massive, are they standard VR items? do they house 6.5" speakers?

and lastly...saw ya post on them lights! i like the idea...but where did you get the vinyl from again? i wanna do this to my full red rear lights. Cheers!

Sanjay.

p.s. those seats...do they have blue bits on them? i like them very much!!

Cheers Sanjay,

I got the TT pedals from Awesome, I think they cost about £22. The brake & clutch covers just slide over the c ones. I had to cut my accelerator pedal in order to slide on the TT cover.

The front speaker pods come standard (not sure whats behind them)

I cut the vinyl myself (used CAD machine). I tried so many different things with the lights but, now I'm really happy with them. I'll cut you some matt vinyl & send it to you if you like, (no charge) just p.m. me your postal address.

The seats do have like a blue speckle in them which is quite cool.

The car was first registered on May 12th 1994 (my Birthday ).

Bet you cant wait the 9 years till you can sit your test!!! :lol: :lol:

Realy nice clean car you have there. :D

damn nice looker there dan...........tbh i wasn't really a fan of the silver(too many mercs and beemers etc) before.......but the more i see it the more i have began to like it on the C :wink:

Cheers guys,

DM,

The steering wheel was on the car when I bought it. Yes, thank god, the paint is imaculate. The previous owner told me that he always kept his distance when travelling behind other vehicles to avoid stone chips. A good idea I thought, so I do it now as well :) . With a Corrado you can sit back from traffic & use the power of the car to overtake safely.

Andycowuk,

Sorry :oops: ... you know what I mean :lol:

Bally,

I don't have any pics of the front of the car. I used to have some but they were poor quality so I deleted them. I bought the eyebrow at the Irish GTi international last year at a stand for £15. I was told by another C owner that it was like the 'Reiger' one as it drops down slightly at each headlight. I'll try & get a pic so you can have a closer look.

Ok so I got the camera out again today & took a few snaps

very nice, wheels... 8)

liking the small details and the rears a lot, if i'd seen the way you'd done yours before then i'd have copied them :grin:

have to bump that ireland meet thread.

very nice, wheels... 8

liking the small details and the rears a lot, if i'd seen the way you'd done yours before then i'd have copied them :grin:

have to bump that ireland meet thread.

Thanks Aide, I've introduced bits of red here and there to break up the silver a bit.

I'm definitely up for a meet, do you think you'll have your car ready for august?

yeh hope so, have set of 288's calipers arrived now, hope to get them refurbed and on this weekend.

paintwork and wheels won't be touched for august, but hey i just want it back on the road :)

The rear lights look really good- where did you get the vinyl? how much? and how hard to do was it?

The rear lights look really good- where did you get the vinyl? how much? and how hard to do was it?

Thanks man, I did the lights about 7yrs ago. We used the vinyl on a job and there was some left over so I tried it out & it's still on there :D . It's called Ruby Red vinyl, think we got it from a company called Metamark. I'm nearly sure they are trade only but I cound get some if there is enough interest. When I first did them I covered the whole lights making them all red but the indicators flashed red & the reverse lights lit up pink so that was no good. Then after much deliberation I noticed that most of the newer cars at the time had red and orange strips on their OEM lights. So I decided to cut out the actual light part because the sides of the corrado lights don't light. Then I cut 4mm strips and applied them across the cut outs. I made the strips 4mm because if you look closer at the OEM lights you can see they have horizontal reflector strips that are about 4mm. I used these strips as a guide to line up my strips of ruby red vinyl.

I have been working with vinyls for over 20years being in the sign industry and it still took me a good few hours to do the lights properly. To get the perfect look you have to form the vinyl over the edges of the lights. This is done using a heat gun, cotton cloth/glove, some skill & a bit of patience. I don't know why Inpro didn't make aftermarket 'All red' rear lights for the C :shrug:

are the side strips vynil too? if so did you make them also :notworthy:

Hi jok,

the side strips are made from 1mm polished aluminium and then I applied a carbon fibre vinyl to run along the centre of them just to break it up a bit. I hated the huge OE bump strips but when I took them off I sort of missed them. Not to mention a little bit of the lacquer came off when I took them off :mad2: I searched many scrap yards to try & get some flatter/ more modern bump strips but couldn't get any long enough for the Corrado door so I decided to make my own.

crikey dan it looks really good, are you hand cutting that stuff or some kind of printer?

you have me wondering about this stuff on mine now :)

It comes on a roll 1220mm wide. The stuff I'm using now is 3M and it actually feels like CF to touch. The only thing is it's fairly hard so can't be used to wrap anything with to much of a contour. The cf stuff I used on my grill is a lot softer material and conforms much better to contours but doesn't look as realistic. I work for a sign company so we use different types of vinyl's for signmaking. I'm just using left over off-cuts, need to be careful of overkill when I have easy access to the stuff :)

To answer your question it's cut using a computer to design & a plotter to cut it. Easy enough when you know how.

Looks like it's just me and you for the meet so far lol