Sign in to follow this  
herisites

VR6 owners with 288 brakes!!

Hello!

I am looking for some VR6 owners with the golf 288mm brake set up and are not a million miles away from me in Northamptonshire.

The reason being is i want 288's on mine due to charging it soon and needing better stopping power, but i have to space my wheels out just to fit the standard 280's under, bloody dish design :roll: its not the size of the disc thats the problem as having 16's they will fit under easily enough, the problem is how far the the calipers and carriers stick out which even with standards catch my wheels so i had to shave some of the carrier off to fit them!

Anyway i have been in conversation with Goldie who has recently put the setup on his (very lovely) storm. I took some pics of mine and some measurements and he then went out and took the same measurements and i think with a bit more spacing (withough going mad and risking catching the arches!) i could get them to fit.

BUT before going and buying everything to find out its not possible i would ideally like to try and fit my wheel on someone else's car with the brakes already on, to see how much i would need to space them out!

Goldie is quite far from me just to try a wheel on :( SO if there is anyone quite a bit closer then let yourself be known :D

Cheers,

Rob.

There should be more clearance between the carrier, caliper and wheel with the 288mm setup (16" Audi 5-hole need a 3mm spacer with the 280mm setup, but no spacer was required for the 288s).

So subtract 3mm from any spacing/shaving you've done to work out what's needed for the 288s

HTH.

Anyway i have been in conversation with Goldie who has recently put the setup on his (very lovely) storm

Very nice of you to say so Rob...

I hope that someone will be able to help you out..

There should be more clearance between the carrier, caliper and wheel with the 288mm setup (16" Audi 5-hole need a 3mm spacer with the 280mm setup, but no spacer was required for the 288s).

So subtract 3mm from any spacing/shaving you've done to work out what's needed for the 288s

HTH.

Now thats interesting but i just cant see it being less. Goldie measured his and it seems that it would stick out further UNLESS the whole lot sits in further than the 280's :S

Like i have asked, i think the only way to find out will be to try my wheel on a car with them on.

Would testing them on a golf VR6 with the set up be the same?? If so i could post on edition38 and VR6 owners club as well???

Goldie - Only stating the obvious mate :thumb right:

Would testing them on a golf VR6 with the set up be the same??

I reckon it would, or a a passat...

Yeah true. I have put up a post on edition 38 so hopefully there is a golf VR6 owner round the corner who wont mind me trying them on.

Worth knowing Rob that the passat ones fit to your existing flexihoses unlike the golf ones.....

I have just found a guy on edition 38 with a golf highline who is running exactly the same wheels as mine and are actually running a higher offset of et35 and my fronts are et30 with 3mm spacers and only just clear 280's yet his sit in further and clear 288's :? :? :?

Do the brakes sit any different on the golf hub or will it be exactly the same set up if i put the brakes on my C?

Goldie, yeah i heard that the passat ones are a straight fit, saves messing around changing hoses then!!

bigpants baby, are you getting them to sell or getting them for your C?

Hello!

I am looking for some VR6 owners with the golf 288mm brake set up and are not a million miles away from me in Northamptonshire.

Goldie is quite far from me just to try a wheel on :( SO if there is anyone quite a bit closer then let yourself be known :D

Hi there,

Your welcome to offer them up on mine, I'm in wellingborough with a stock M reg VR6 that currently on blocks at the front so super easy to check lol...

Cheers

Simon

Hi there,

Your welcome to offer them up on mine, I'm in wellingborough with a stock M reg VR6 that currently on blocks at the front so super easy to check lol...

Cheers

Simon

Legend! Yes please mate that would be great, and only in wellingborough round the corner from me in rushden lol. PM me your address etc and we can sort out a time for me to pop over and try a wheel on :)

Hi Rob,

Mobile is

I'm away from home till wed's night and then have a job to do Thursday morning so anytime after about 2pm Thurs is fine

Just let me know on here or give me ring if that's ok with you

It's on blocks but I'll prob need to lift the front an inch or two so there is plenty of space to try your wheel but I have a trolley jack so it's no biggie

Nice car btw, that blackberry / burgandy colour is my fav but mine came along at a "can't say no price" lol...

Cheers

Hi mate,

I have saved your mobile number so you might want to remove it just in case you get weirdos ringing you :lol:

Thurs should be ok, i could finish work about 4 and come straight over yours.

Can you PM me your address so i can find you :)

Cheers,

Rob.

Do they fit then Rob?????

Nope :cry::cry::cry:

I will need to space the wheels out about 10mm to get them to fit!! I couldnt believe it, they didnt seem much bigger than then 280's but it was a mile out.

Although Simon did mention that the TT 312's have an offset and sit quite far in compared to the 280's and 288's so i might try and fit over them for a laugh!!! :lol:

Many thanks to Simon though, top bloke! Very nice meeting you and will most probably see you again at some point (especially with you being a mechanic and knowing the vr inside out :wink: :lol:)

I thought you would have been ok but at leat you know for definite now..

I think the 312s will be a non event :D

Best get some spacers knocked up then, did you have a go of the car to feel the difference???

No it was a non runner on blocks which is why i could just go and offer my wheels up to it. Im glad i didnt though in a way as it would of made me realise how bad mine are! :lol: