Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Mocal fitted to the VR but need help with a coolant hose

Hi all,

the Mocal was fitted yesterday and all seems excellent with regards to the oil temperature. It seems impossible to get it above 98 degrees c.

However the hose connection extension on the the coolant tube which connects to the original oil cooler snapped off. The extension is now in the rubber tube (this all happened whilst hacking it along on the A3 near to Waterlooville and i did need the AA)

What i am after is a rubber pipe which goes from the coolant tube (the pipe that runs across the front of the engine at an angle from the water pump to the thermostat housing) to the engine block. One that by-passes the original oil cooler.

What i did was join the two rubber pipes together and the angle on the coolant tube must have been to great for it to handle.

How did you fellow Mocal users get around this problem?

Any help most appreciated

Martin

pi_255.jpeg

http://www.gruvenparts.com/

Its known as the crack pipe, standard plastic one is pants as you have found :lol: . The ally one from Gruven allows you to block the heat/exchanger hole off (due to the hole being internally treaded).

I have just ordered one before fitting my Mocal cooler.

Yep, that's what you need!

I can't picture what you're trying to say Martin, got a pic?

FWIW, I ran my sandwich plate lines vertically up and the coolant hose from the crack pipe to the OE heat exchanger passed between the two sandwich plate lines. All went in perfectly, no strain on anything and no drama.

Oh Bollarks - just ordered a new plastic crack pipe from my friendly VW dealership.

Sorry no pic until Sunday when i take all the bumper, front panel and radiator out of the way. I'll try and kill it with this attack of wording, here goes :)

What i did was

1)use the original heat exchanger effectively as a spacer as i have the metal braided lines and i just couldn't fit the sandwich plate on with out this spacing. This works excellently. This bit ain't important i'm just letting you know how i went about it :)

2)by pass the original heat exchanger by connecting the rubber pipe from the crack pipe to the rubber pipe to the head with some copper tubing in between with ridges at each end to stop the rubber tubing slipping off.

What i wanted to know is = is there a one piece rubber pipe that can be used from the crack pipe to the head (by passing the the original heat exchanger). If you were able to use the original pipe work Kev without causing stress on the fitments then i have effectively got my pants in a twist :iamwithstupid:

Needless to say that during this creation of a reply i have just ordered from gruven: a metal crack pipe + all the other bits while i was at it.

If you block off the heat exchanger hole on the gruven metal crack pipe do you also need to block off the connection to the head? If so is it just a case of existing rubber pipe blocked off?

Cheers guys for being patient

Martin