Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

MOT Emissions?

Hi

Got my G60 booked in for a MOT next week. Do you have any tips on how to keep the emissions down for the test.

I've booked a specific time so will make sure the engine is hot before I arrive.

What petrol should I fill up with, 95 or 97?

Should I use any additives?

Bit worried about the test really, rather go to the dentist than put my car through a MOT and that's saying something. :-P

Cheers

ST

Hi Dubby

I know the limit is higher for cars registered before August 1992 but I thought my chances were evens considering the cats been removed and the engine mods.

Really hope it goes through easily as I have lots of bits to do to her in the coming months.

Fingers crossed.

ST

I wouldn't worry about emissions unless you know of any engine problems. I'd worry about everything else though. My G60 failed in feb - needed all brake lines, most of the suspension bushes and a new exhaust. Emissions were fine though...

I thought my chances were evens considering the cats been removed and the engine mods.

I thought a de-cat was a pretty sure way to get it failed?

Standard practice was to stick it back on before the MOT.

This is another of those "depends on the tester" moments I think. Technically, you don't *have* to have a catalyst fitted to pass the emissions test, but many testers will simply refuse to test you if you don't.

What year is your G60 mate?

My 92 G60 passed it's mot fine and it's got no cat on it and some engine work done to it.

Cars after 92 (or mid 92) are subject to tighter emissions tests but can have the cat removed as long as they pass IIRC.

1991 on a J plate does not need to have a CAT.

Best way to pass emissions is dump a bottle of stop smoke stuff in your tank. Will clean it up for the test.

Mine has no cat, and managed about 1.8% at one point I think. Mind, once I got it back to the test centre for a re-test, it had gone up to 4.5 :roll:

The trouble with mine was most likely the blue temp sensor thing, which I have now replaced - fingers x'd for this years MOT ;)

hello you only need a cat on your car if it is a k reg and onwards as the cats became law on all k plates onwards .

hope this makes some sense to someone

:)

ps sorry if its a little bit off topic

Hello again

Car was first registered on Jan 1992 so is before the August cut off point fortunately.

I'm always a glass is half empty guy when it comes to cars (I'm beginning to think this attitude is well suited to C's), mainly because all of my MOT's always seem to cost about £350. Also, the first MOT with a car is always worrying.

Anyway, will look out for that stop smoke thing in Halfrauds. Not that my car does smoke at all. :D

Cheers

T